Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is not clear what the "actual volume of water" checkbox does. Through experimentation, I've decided (still not sure) that by unchecking that box, the Fertilator performs its calculations using the water-volume value that I supplied (which is the behavior I prefer).

So, if I am right, when I know the actual volume of water in my tank, I have to uncheck the "actual volume of water" box? Confusing.

The bit of text below the control doesn't really help, either. It provides an interesting bit of information, but it does nothing to elucidate the purpose of the checkbox. The text suggests that the user can estimate the actual volume of the tank by multiplying by 0.85. So should we do this ourselves, or can/should we let the Fertilator do it? The mind boggles.

Perhaps the checkbox should read "calculate actual water volume," and have a footnote that says something like this:

"Nominal aquarium volumes are usually greater than actual volume. If you do not know the actual volume of water in your aquarium, check this box to have Fertilator estimate it. (Fertilator estimates actual volume by multiplying the input value by 0.85. If you have a large amount of gravel or rock in your tank, you should create your own estimate of actual volume.)"

Hope this helps!

-John

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Thanks John!

The thought with the check box was to make it easy for users to determine the dosage based on a close approximation of the actual volume of water in their aquarium. However, there has been a lot of confusion with it.

We are debating removing it altogether and leaving a notation about the difference between nominal and actual water volumes. It will be rectified in the next version of the Fertilator due out shortly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.