Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!!!

As you can see i'm new to this site, forum, and a new born acuatic plant lover.

So far... i don't understand a thing :( all thos abreviations and cientific names, also english is not my native language so add that to it! :oops:

Any way couls anyone of you can give me a quick list maybe a site with photos where i can look at the plants and see which i can add and mantain in my 60G tank?

I'm decided to get rid of all plastic plants and replace them with live ones since they RULE! so far i have a couple of crypts (took me an hour to find the name and a photo to know what kind of plant it was! Duh!), that are growing like crazy and i just love them!

Thanks in advance! congrats on the site and forums, i hope i learn fast and soon post a pic!

·
Registered
29 Posts
aquatic plants for dummies

Hi Falstaf and welcome :D
Don't feel bad, we've all been where you are now..The Honeymoon :wink: A few of my favorite low tech (and low light tolerant as well), in thier common names are Java moss, Java fern and many of the anubias as well as many of the cryps as you've discovered..Good luck with your new love. Oh...Moss balls (or Marimo balls) are great too!!
Shannon

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Falstaf,

Bienvenido (welcome) a APC y el mundo de las plantas acuaticas (and the world of aquatic plants)!

Please look at our Album to see plants that you may include in your aquarium. We will soon have a plant database that you will be able to search. In the meantime, can you tell us more about your aquarium?

Saludos,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi!!! thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Sorry for all the typos! it was late i promise to pay more attention.

Ok here are some crummy photos (web cam) but they might give you an idea, i've marked the live plants i now have, the rest are silk or plastic.

The tank is 40x24x24 inches it holds 60G
The light is a 120V fluorecent light
The substrate is white marble gravel
PH is 7.8 constant
Temp: 82F
Fish in the tank:
3 Angels
5 betas (2M 3F)
8 Loaches (Yo-Yo, clown, Blue/ red tail, weather and hillbilly)
2 dworf gurami
4 mollies
3 Plecos (common, albino and lepard)
5 guppies
18 Neon tetras
4 goldfish (moore, lionhead, pearlscale)

Thanks for all your help you gys are great!

GRACIAS!

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Falstaf,

How many Watts of lighting to do have?

Do you know the hardness of your water? The KH (carbonate hardness) and the GH (general hardness)?

Regards,
Steve Pituch

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Looks good. You might want to think about changing the substrate to something that would be beneficial to the plants, like flourite or laterite. It made a huge difference for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey!

Hmmmmm i don't know the hardness, the only thing i test for is PH and that's 7.5

And it's a 40W / 127V

·
Registered
542 Posts
Falstaf,

You should shoot for 2 watts per gallon for a low light setup. You only have .67 Watts per gallon. If you want to try co2 injection & nutrient addition (more of a hi-tech method), considering the height of your tank, you should try for 3 watts per gallon.

I would first try the low light approach. You've got to add at least one more 40 Watt bulb for a total of 80 Watts. I would try Java fern, various Anubias, and Crypts, because of your low light, as these plants generally tolerate low light pretty well, and are generally universally available.

Regards,

Steve Pituch

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Falstaf,

Do you use good old Mexico tap? Are you in the D.F.? You may want to call you water company to see if they can tell you what's in it. Use that as your starting point.

Also, I would second Spituch's recommendations on lighting and plant choices. Therefore, you need to focus on feeding the plants so they can grow.

Get yourself a good combination fertilizer like Flourish or Tropica's MasterGrow and follow the directions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey Steve!

Thanks i'll add another bulb this weekend so it can go up to 80W. I just went to my aquarium store and i got some new plants i watched the tanks that they where in so i could more less match what i have and i got the ones that were in darker tanks i hope they grow fast, tank looks amazing!

I also visited your home page and looked at UNIDENTIFIED PLANTS section, i know i'm no expert here but the Unidentified Plant #3, and your description of it and the place you found it, i think is a very common plant here that we all use for decoration, it lives both in soil and just in water, the common name for it here is "bad Mother", that is because when it flowers, from the vine that the flowers grow a new plant is born and it grows in the the vine till it falls away from the mother plant and starts growing there. For what i've found so far on them (no scientific name yet), on a gardening book, they are from the family of orchids, but let me found some more and i'll let you know.

thanks and best regards!
F.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Art!!

Thanks for the tip, yes i'm in D.F. and i called earlier today and they use chlorine to treat water specially in spring. So i treat the water of my tank with Neutra-Stress that gets rid of chlorine and cloramine and also some heavy metals (¿?) as it says in the label.

And let me tell you this, i just learned that all aquatic plants sold here in aquarium stores are imported!!! :shock: I didn't knew that! So if anyone of you what to do a good business just put an aquatic green house here in the city! :idea:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi again, am i an acuatic pest yet???

I just went through the whole site and... WOW!!

I was wondering which plant are in the February 2004 Tank of the Month, the ones that are at the bottom?? they are awsome

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Falstaf,

Your pic didn't make to the post. :)

As for the plants in the February Tank of the month, go to the Tank of the Month Forum and ask ekim.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gracias IUnknown!

Hasta ahora así luce la pecera

So far this is how the fish tank looks, i know i need to acuascape, but for now i'm just focusing in plant growth and food.
(i cant post another photo, let me try a link)

http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedphoto/p=526231080063171245/l=25089259

I also have a question, i read that in order to have moss or algae covered rocks it was a good idea to put the rocks in a glass container submerged in water and leave it in direct sunlight. Is this a good idea introducing algae to the tank?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You usually don't want to introduce algae covered rocks into the tank. However, you can buy java moss (musgo de Java) and tie that to rocks with fishing line (hilo de pescar). That is very different.

Looking at your tank, the gravel sure does seem very large! It almost looks like dolomite... hopefully, it isn't.

How big is your gravel? Que tamano tiene las piedritas blancas del fondo?

Carlos

1 - 20 of 32 Posts