Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thanks Sir and Tsunami,

Yes my gravel is very big it's all white marvel chips and as the tank was originally for fish only i considered it to be a good option for substrate (easy to clean and vacuum), but i'm now considering changing the substrate, today i went to a "professional" aquarium store and looked at some planted exhibition tanks, and ask questions like crazy, so i did looked to some new substrate, one that looks like clay pellets, i just forgot the brand!!, well maybe i can use it in most of the tank and still keep the white marble just a decoration (even if all my friends say it looks like a 70's ashtray! :evil: ).

I just got some Java moss it was SO EXPENSIVE! but well i planted half in the tank with fishing line as you said and the rest of it i put in the sun light and in a jar filled with water and plant food for it to grow up fast. i swear that if i can grow it i would make a good buck out of it!!

Thanks again for all your advice i really truly appreciate it, also the effort on translating, you guys are the best!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi again,

I just got a Tetratest Laborett, and did all the test this are the results:

PH 8.0
NH3/NH4+ (Ammonia) 0.25 mg/l
NO2-(Nitrite) 0.3 mg/l
GH 5
KH 4
CO2 1.3

For what i've read i have to do a water change for the ammonia (which i do every 3 days, today is the day i'm supossed to do it), but other than that, it all seems fine, at least acording to the leaflet.

What is off the chart is the CO2, which i guess it's good for the plants?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Folks,

Please note that you have a spell check button on the left when you are writing a post. Please feel free to use it, it works great.

Falstaf,

It seems as if your tank has not cycled yet. You don't want to see ammonia or nitrite. What filter are you using?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Art!

I swear i use it every time, and also do a spell check on my entourage before posting, sorry about the misspelled words.

As for filtering I have a 150 l/h canister filter with mesh and carbon. I also have a submerged 150 power head with 4 chambers attached (2 mesh, 1 carbon, 1 Zeolite)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks Sir,

I'm trying to find a balance through it all, my overstocked tank and the plants, so far i'm gonna do this based an all the kind people who have answered this post.

1. I'm going to change the gravel for a special substrate, i was also thinking unscented cat litter (clay one) since is inexpensive and easy to find, i've been checking stores and they don't carry the special substrate, and the one that does sells it for $50US the 5Kg. bag.

2. This weekend my lamp is going back to the shop and it will have up to 3 40W tubes, that should take care of the lighting problem for the moment.

3. I'm getting a BioWheel filter so i can get rid of the carbon.

4. I'm going to hunt for low light plants! i would prefer to start with those and see how it goes (i tend to jump the beginnings, that's how the tank got overstocked).

5. I'll continue pestering you guys for answers in case something starts to go wrong! (sorry :oops: )

Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I would go with laterite instead of cat litter. I would go with laterite. You can get a box from bigalsonline.com for less than 15 dollars. You mix laterite and plain gravel to form a one inch layer, then cap that off with about two inches of regular gravel. Its cheap and it works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I just checked, they don't ship to Mexico and if they do, the cost of the shipment will be more than the price of the product.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Falstaff,

One possible substitute for the kitty litter that is a bit more stable and less likey to go all mushy and soft after a few weeks in water would be the "Oil Dry" type clay granules one can find in most Auto Supply stores. It's used to soak up petroleum product spills, like gas and oil. Almost all gas stations and garages would have some on hand and could probably tell you where to get more.

It's dirt cheap-- here in the USA a 50lb bag is $5.00 so I'll bet in Mexico it's like $1.00. It works and I'm sure you can find some.
It does tend to be a bit light in weight, making the initial planting of some species a chore but you could always use it to "bulk out" whatever else you find in the way of substrates there.

In any case I'd lose those marble chips like veryone is advising.

Now you will have a good amount of light with your upgrade and can consider more light hungry plants if you can find them. Mexico City is at a fairly high elevation and not exactly tropical -- but I'll bet you could find a lot of plants growing in canals, irrigation ditches, lakes, etc. Doesn't Mexico City have a big lake with lots of canals and floating islands or was that back in the time of the Aztecs? Whatever. Just look wherever you might find shallow water and any plant growing there is a potential candidate for your aquarium.

Good Luck!

Bobo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi Bobo!!

Thanks a lot for the tip, i'll go check tomorrow on auto workshops around (those we have plenty and i'm sure i can find it!

And well the place you mention here in Mexico City is called Xochimilco (awesome place BTW), well today i went there i was most impress to hear in all aquariums that aquatic plants where all imported, it just didn't made any sense since we have such prolific lands.

Well i can happily inform you that there are THOUSANDS of aquatic plants there, and as you mention it is a lake with lots of canals and Chinampas (floating islands), where people grow mostly flowers, vegetables and of course corn. It wasn;t easy finding then though, not many people buy them, but i found this guy that he only grows aquatic plants, he has his own canals where he grows national and imported plants, and he also gives amazing prices!

Of course i was like a kid on a candy store, he has this beautiful tanks to display all his varieties and then you can go back and pick them up yourself (not a nice thing to put your hand in the canal though eewww LOL). Anyway it was a lot of fun, and i spent hours there and got:

2 Trichomanes Javanicum "Aqua Fern"
1 Little pot of Hydrocotyle Verticillata (notice how i'm starting to use scientific terms?!?! :lol:
1 Moss Ball
2 Peat balls (one for my filter to lower the PH as suggested)
2 Amazonian
1 Daisy (Margarita that's what he called it, and says it's a native plant, looks like a little tree sprout)
1 Cabomba (it was a left over that nobody wanted so i brought it home hoping she will come to life with few care and love)

I'm so excited and it took me like 2 hours to plant them all and give them their right space in the tank, i think it will look awesome once they start growing!.

Thanks a lot everyone i'll keep nagging you and reporting my progress.

PS. Now i want another big tank :roll:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts