Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
120cm ADA tank
eheim 2217 filter
Tek light 6x54w
Lilly pipes
17 mm V-7 inflow
13 mm P-4 outflow (no one has the P-6 in stock)
DIY stand
1 bag Power sand special M 6L
3.5 bags Aquasoil Amazonia 9L
Mulm w/ some aquasoil from my old tank

Just started this tank up on Sunday. I had a lot of help, thanks to Bill, Eric, Marc, Andrew, and Boun. The Rocks in the hardscape was picked up at a local stone yard at 10 cents a pound.

Plants used
HC
Crypt nurii
Crypt cordata "rosanergiv"
Crypt parva
Blyxa japonica
Downoi
Anubias barteri "Marbled"
Anubias nana "gold"
Anubias nana "petite"
Polygonum "Sao Paolo" (gonna be taken out, used as filler)
Nymphaea micrantra
Hygrophila sp "Araguaia"

Here are some pictures of the progression

Building the stand

Stand Finished

Stand opened

Bill puting together the light hangers. He made them out of electrical conduit.

Stand with tank on top

Stainless Steel mesh over the powersand and old aquasoil/mulm

Hardscape placed, starting to fill with water

Planting some HC

Crytocoryne Rosanergiv planted

With more plants

Tank almost filled

Tank getting a diatom treatment

Full tank shot after the about an hour of the diatom filter

Picture of the Nymphaea micrantra

More pictures are posted here with some close ups.
Link

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow

That is one beautiful setup you have there. Do you have the plans for the stand and something to show how you did the light stand? Are those the same metal rods for clothes that can be found at Home Depot or Lowes? Im thinking about making my own tank stand for a 75 with a light stand for the exact same lights. Really nice setup!

·
Registered
550 Posts
How cool is that! I just got the same light fixture and it's amazing how good it works!
The construction of your stand as well as all the details inside, way cool man!
Keep taking pictures!
Navarro

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
That's gonna look pretty sweet all grown in man. Are you doing a morning/midday/dusk effect with the Tek light? I have the same light for my setup, only it's the 4 bulb fixture.

I'm interested in some closeup pics of the conduit light hangers. I had this exact same idea and I'd love any pointers you can give me. I'm hoping to set my 75 gallon up at my place soon. It's still at my parents and I have the light hanging from the ceiling. We rent this place so I'd prefer to use a light stand over here.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the complements.

The conduit hangers were Bills doing. All I know is you need a pipe bender and pipe cutter. The conduit is really cheap. I can post some pics of it later, with a close up of the back of it too.

Right now I have the light to go from 2 bulbs to 4 to 6 to 4 to 2. I have them on 2 seperate timers that you can do 107 of different on/off combos. So 2 bulbs come on, then when the 2 turn off 4 come on, etc....

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Okay, that's how it looked like it was done. I'm always up for investing in more tools. :)

Did he use 3/4" or 1/2" pipe? I was thinking the 3/4" would be best.

Thanks for your help man.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't really have any plans for the stand. Its a simple box with a brace in the center all 3/4 inch mdf. A friend (Jason or thatguy) actually put the stand together, I did sand, finish, and paint everything though. I used car bondo to hide the joints and nail holes. Also had to bondo up the edges of the doors, b/c they were sagging.

·
Registered
676 Posts
All I can say is that it's a lot of fun setting up a new tank when you have ample materials from tanks being torn down. Ian is a chronic sufferer of collectoritis so finding temporary filler plants was never an issue. :D

As for the light hangers, it's the same setup as I did over my 120g tank. So Ian didn't have to worry about being a guinea pig. lol.

The 1/2" conduit is more than enough...especially since each pipe is only carrying half the load. The end that hangs the light is done with a 1/2" coupler, with the open end's set screw replaced with a 3/16" eye-bolt.

Once you get past the $30 for the conduit bender (which are size specific for each pipe diameter) the parts for a set run under $10.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Sweet! That's exactly the picture I wanted. I was thinking the same thing with the eye bolt, but i was going to use my tap/die set to have it go directly into the conduit.

·
Registered
676 Posts
...but i was going to use my tap/die set to have it go directly into the conduit.
I originally planned on doing just that, but then I realized that drilling the hole even slightly off center would have the eye bold skewed, which would drive me nuts. The coupling provides a simple, adjustable means to attach the eyebolt.

Anyway, Ian was happy with the results (and the light didn't fall into the tank, haha) which was all that mattered. :)

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. That would not go well with my perfectionist nature either. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks wonderful - that really is a beautiful stand. I bet there are plenty of people around here who would rather build a stand for 1/6th the price of the ADA equipment!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup Jay did the build, Marc and I did the finish. Marc did his stand, I did mine. When I got to the stand it was all put together, doors already drilled. Since the doors were so heavy and it made the hinges sag quite a bit, we had to bondo up the edges of the doors to match. I used a lot of bondo, sand paper and paint.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts