Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm working on an ADA 75-P. Got my Aquasoil, sand, and Manzanita wood in the tank. What do you think so far? Suggestions?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Put both pipes on the same see to have nice laminar flow.

Not the answer you were looking for but hope that helps! You want the pipes working with not against each other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll try that. I was trying to stagger them like this:

[------------------------------]
[X -->------------------------]
[-------------------------<--X]

Key: X = lily pipes

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice, going to be setting up a tank of similar proportions in the next month or so... (once it's built).

What kind of filtration are you using? I'm trying to decide if the Eheim 2217 I have is going to be overkill on a ~34 gallon tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two filters gives you redundancy. It also helps to keep the flow rate up. This is my hardware so far:

Tank: ADA 75-P (with 2 bags of Aquasoil original)
Light: 150 watt Aqualine HQI bulb
Pendant: ReefOptix III
Ballast: Sunlight Supply Galaxy Electronic 150w HQI
CO2: 10lb aluminum tank
Regulator: Victor Model VTS253A-1993 (dual stage + dual gauge)
Filter A: Eheim 2217
Filter B: Eheim 2215
Heater: ETH Hydor 300 watt external
CO2 Input: Mazzei 584-C injector

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice, that's a lot of filtration. Interesting that you're using a 300 watt Hydor. I was considering selling mine because I thought it would be too much for the smaller tank and overheat. Will def. be following this thread to see how it goes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the 300 watt heater was only slightly more expensive than the 250 watt version. No brainer when I purchased it. Also, I was living in Michigan and the winters were BRUTAL. Plus, a bigger heater simply means it comes on less (it's temperature controlled, so it stops/starts automatically).

As to the filters, I first started out wanting to put powerheads in the tank. Here is what I considered:

Powerhead PROs - Cheap, Reliable, Very Low Maintenance, Good Flow
Powerhead CONs - Takes Tank Space, Visible (ugly), No Added Filtration

Canister Filter PROs - Invisible, Added Filtration, Average Flow, Redundancy (when changing/cleaning)
Canister Filter CONs - Expensive, Maintenance, Space at bottom/next to tank

I originally had the Eheim 2215 for a 46 gallon bow front. The flow was average. Then, I got a good deal on a used Eheim 2217. Instead of getting a separate powerhead or external pump to power my Mazzei, I used another canister. Problem solved! Plus, you get all the benefits listed above. If the price is right, get another canister (or get 1 powerful external pump and a sump).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts