Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo :p
I'm in a process setting 14 gal tank it's main purpose is housing & breeding CRS ( crystal red shrimp )
Also it will have all kind of mosses liverworts pogostemon helferi etc..

I picked amazonia to be the substrate : it lowers Ph and Kh and have nice background for the shrimp color
My questions are :
How much peat ( should I add vermiculite ?- how much?)
what is the recommended hight of ada amazonia ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
No, it does not look like bacteria, it looks like tannins are leached in water. I don't now what to add to canister filter, either matrix carbon or renew. I also have a big piece of driftwood that is also leaching tannins.

·
Registered
395 Posts
eyal, why are you adding peat? aquasoil softens the water and lowers ph like you said so you should be fine without it. if you wanted to, i suppose you could dust the tank bottom with peat before you add the aquasoil.

id recommend three inches deep but a little less wouldnt be bad and you can add all the more you want.

go with amazonia I instead of amazonia II...atleast thats the word around here. it grows plants great.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Like stuckintexas said, no need for peat or vermiculite if you are using the aquasoil.

Amazonia I is recommended over II because many people have noted that II tends to dissolve in the water and it is not any better than AmI.

I hope I'm not hijacking, but since we're talking about it, why does aquasoil lower pH, have so much "nutrition" in it, etc...? Is it a clay-covered peat impregnated with fertilizer? Is it natural soil with natural fertility that has been baked? Anyone know?

-Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.