Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was doing some maintenance and thought these pictures might prove useful to some people.

The pictures are two sets of 13 mm lily pipes that I am using on my 60-P. One set is by ADA the other by CalAqua Labs. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

I can send a video of the CalAqua in-line diffuser live in action.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
This is a great comparison. Its hard to describe to people the difference. I think the You-tube flick would be very cool to see.
We have a new In-line diffuser from Cal Aqua that will be 17mm/5/8 and much larger than the previous model to compensate for increased flow.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is a great comparison. Its hard to describe to people the difference. I think the You-tube flick would be very cool to see.
We have a new In-line diffuser from Cal Aqua that will be 17mm/5/8 and much larger than the previous model to compensate for increased flow.
Orlando:

I have the old version of the diffuser. I noted some physical differences with the version II, but nonetheless the principle should be the same.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to use Google to host. Here is the video of turbulent flow in the diffuser. You can see the circular flow of CO2 bubbles as it exits the disc

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
this is very helpful - thanks for posting!

Do you notice a difference in flow between the two? I see that the outlet portion is significantly different between the two, never noticed that before....

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
this is very helpful - thanks for posting!

Do you notice a difference in flow between the two? I see that the outlet portion is significantly different between the two, never noticed that before....
Hooha:

I don't have precise answer for you, but I can infer that the velocity of the water exiting the pipes is higher for the CalAqua. Why?

1. When the lily pipes are raised at night for aeration, the sound produced by the ADA has a pitch that sort of sounds of like a flowing stream (probably an intentional design by Amano as part of the overall "kimochi" of the ADA line). The CalAqua set in contrast has a higher pitch in the same position, suggesting that the water is coming out at higher velocity.
  2. Measuring the diameter of the neck of the outflow pipes at the lowest part of the "J" with my calipers, the ADA pipes measured 11.5 mm and the CalAqua 9 mm. Assuming the rated flow of 145 gph for my Eheim Ecco 2234, we get 4.8 ft/sec for the ADA and 7.86 ft/sec for CalAqua. NB: this is not the same as volume per unit time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts