Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For more than two years now I'm using a normal small (5.5") to trim any of my plants.

I'd like to buy one ADA maintenance scissor tool. Which one is the best to trimming Glosso and HC as carpet plants? In some ADA site they mentionned Pro Scissors Short (Curve Type) and Pro Scissors Wave Type they mentionned this one is the best tool for pruning a plant like Glossostigma, which grows in sideways and covers the whole substrate. Is it worth to buy?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which one does a better the job between Wave and Nude scissors? The nude is a bit longer whereas the wave is curver and its price is 10$ difference. Does the nude do a better job with nano tanks?
(I own two nano tanks and a 32 gal tanks.)

I know most people don't want to spend much money but since they are unique form to have their own purpose, I do know ADA's scissors cost a lot but you will get any pennies that you spend for good results of trimming when you have a good tool in hands in long term of course. Sure you can get a cheapo scissors for $5 or $10 more or less but they aren't curve and don't do a job well. As I said I've been using for cheap compact scissors but don't get good result while trimming surface foreground plants such as Glosso or HC.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I really like the Wave for my HC trimming. the Nude are great for getting into certain stems areas in my tank or if I don't want to get wet and just need to do a quick trim.

If you are only getting one of them and have a set of curved tipped scissors already I would go with the Wave for trimming the foregrounds. Hands get wet but that is part of the fun of it.

For reference I use mine in my ADA Mini M setup.

Craig

·
Registered
202 Posts
The scissors in the link are curved.

To tell the truth I have used glassware from ADA and these guys and both are of equal quality. But it is your wallet my friend and your plants so do as you please. Just thought I would put other options out there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Their curse is basic one not like those two ADAs special curves. You probably save more money while buying that kit but I'm wondering do they do a good trimming job for your foreground and/or moss trimmings?

I prefer buying quality in long term once then buying twice because at the end you will spend more money though.

The scissors in the link are curved.

To tell the truth I have used glassware from ADA and these guys and both are of equal quality. But it is your wallet my friend and your plants so do as you please. Just thought I would put other options out there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the wave also do a good job for trimming java moss on driftwoods and/or rocks especially in tiny coiners or hiding space?

I really like the Wave for my HC trimming. the Nude are great for getting into certain stems areas in my tank or if I don't want to get wet and just need to do a quick trim.

If you are only getting one of them and have a set of curved tipped scissors already I would go with the Wave for trimming the foregrounds. Hands get wet but that is part of the fun of it.

For reference I use mine in my ADA Mini M setup.

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Does the wave also do a good job for trimming java moss on driftwoods and/or rocks especially in tiny coiners or hiding space?
the Pro Scissors Spring seem to be the best for trimming moss A compact Pro-Scissors Spring is the perfect tool for pruning Willow moss on the driftwood and for the use in a small size aquarium.

however wave is the best tool for pruning a plant like Glossostigma, which grows in sideways and covers the whole substrate.

·
Registered
932 Posts
the Pro Scissors Spring seem to be the best for trimming moss A compact Pro-Scissors Spring is the perfect tool for pruning Willow moss on the driftwood and for the use in a small size aquarium.

however wave is the best tool for pruning a plant like Glossostigma, which grows in sideways and covers the whole substrate.
I do like the curve spring type scissors also. I have both spring type straight and curve and also both wave types.

Still for foregrounds and only choosing one pair I still would stick with the wave scissors.

Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts