Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Cassie--I'd defer to what Kirk has them classified as. I've never been adept at telling the difference between those two.
They are actually very easy to tell apart, the croakers are about 3 or 4 times as big and are very plain looking, especially in the stores.

sparkling gourami

croaking gourami

I'm not sure if you can see it from those pictures, but the body shape is much different. I'll try to get a few pictures of each of mine up for comparison...that doesn't do the croaking justice...yes, they can be plain, but once they are happy and settled into a tank, they get red and blue sparkles on their tail and fins

Hello Everyone,

First wanted to say thank you for the support of the ADA product. I only have Power Sand Special and Malaysian in right now. I am reordering Amazonia and Africana tomorrow. Cassie is right on the gourami, I remember the fish and think they may have come in with a batch of Sparklings and grew up with them.

Just wanted to make one comment Gomer. I am the owner and if I am lucky I get one day off a week, more often than not I am there 7 days a week. Thursdays are my typical day to try and take off.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about this tread please let me know.

Thanks,

Kirt
All About Fish
2535 E. Broadway Ave
Long Beach, CA 90803

Kirt, great to hear that the AquaSoil is selling for you! Just curious, did you order any 3L bags? My RA is thinking about setting up a tank in her room, and that volume bag would be perfect for a 5.5 gallon.

I have plenty of Sparkling Gouramis in right now Cassie.

I only have the 9L right now, and 3L in just the PowerSand Special. Will order some 3L on next shipment.

Thanks,

Kirt
All About Fish
2535 E. Broadway Ave
Long Beach, CA 90803
562-438-4148

hum, maybe I'll have to muster up enough energy to drive out there and back, and then to acclimate them as well! Do you have any zebra otos by chance? That would save me a trip to Ocean Blue

Just wanted to make one comment Gomer. I am the owner and if I am lucky I get one day off a week, more often than not I am there 7 days a week. Thursdays are my typical day to try and take off.
Ah ok :) There was a young asian guy working there when i got the maculata a couple weeks ago on saturday. I asked if you were in, and that is what he let me know.

Where do I begin?

I found Kirt's shop through this website, and all I can say is thank you. We had been mainly buying from Strictly Fish, which is a great store, but has some fish that I don't believe should ever be sold by anyone who cares about fish.

Our first trip to All About Fish was this weekend, and it was such an awesome experience. We spent a good two hours there browsing his fish, chatting with him, and getting a better idea how we wanted to set up our new 100g. He highly recommended the ADA line of substrate, but didn't push the sale on us, which was greatly appreciated.

So many LFS employees are out to make a sale right off the bat, and won't even talk to you if you are just shopping. That is so not the case with Kirt. Every time we've been back since (we walked out with 4 SAE's on our first trip) he's been there and been so willing to talk and give feedback.

We also had a bit of luck, as we were looking for a lighting retrofit kit for our new tank, and had been getting a serious run around from other stores. Not only did Kirt understand what we were looking for, but as luck has it, a lighting vendor just happened to be sitting on his couch while we were there. We ended up getting everything we needed for an amazing price, and had it the next day! When we went back to pick up the lighting, we also bought out his remaining supply of the ADA Amazonian substrate! (Sorry folks, I'm sure he'll get more in soon! :p).

I just love this store, and I would, and have been, highly recommending this store to anyone that will listen. We went back today and picked up an awesome vampire shrimp and two bushy nose pleco's, and his remaining supply (at least I think so) of the ADA Black Wood.

My husband jokes that I'm stalking Kirt, but I'm just passionate about good fish stores, that give accurate information, and take the time to educate, talk to, and form a relationship with their customer base. Also, being a huge Goo-Obo Gudgeon fan, and coming to find out that he helped bring the species to the US definitely is a plus! AND, last, but definitely not least, his dog, Bailyn, is the most adorable thing EVER! :D

Guys, I just want to mention, and this is not to mess with Kirt's business, because it's very far.

Anyone who is closer to the Valley than to Orange, there will be some news coming up about a store with a pretty much full ADA line, including Substrates, glassware, tanks,.... We are working closely with ADA to get the best price, so that our prices match or come REALLY close to those posted online. Oh, and there will be a surprise or two coming up too. (IF everything goes well).

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.