Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I have a lot to learn about aquascaping, I thought the best way to learn would be to copy the ADA style. I think I read in a Japanese landscaping book that wood and rocks should not be used together. I noticed in the aquajournals that when Amano did use both, it was only in a layered type fashion. Foreground substrate, rocks, wood, and background substrate. Here are some examples:

I've used diamond black in place of peat in the past, on a recommendation from Erik from e-aquaria.com. I'm very picky about water clarity, and have found that using peat or mulm can create problems. This time around I used a bunch of diamond black to see what would happen. It is dark like aquasoil, so it blends in real well. You can find a local dealer here:

http://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/wheretobuy.html

I do my slopes at about 4" at the back and 2" in the front. I exagerate it because in the end things kind of get pushed to the front. I've also noticed from ADA setups that the layout materials (wood and rocks) are farther back than the middle of the tank to allow for more room for the foreground. Although perspective wise it looks balanced when the plants grow out.

I was planning on trying out different arrangements, taking pictures, and then picking my favorite one. I got lazy and only did two.

At first I was going to try a centered focus type layout, but I'm thinking about using a right triangle layout with this arrangement. There are some plants that are personal favorites, and others that from seeing them in aquajournal, look great in combination. I'd like to use:

Ranalisma rostrata/Glossostigma mix
Giant hairgrass
Rotala rotundifolia 'Green'
Rotala Magenta / macronda Var narrow leaf

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
John P. said:
I was just about to ask if you've set up again.

Which shop does he own in SD?
It's not that I own a store, but rather I'm working to get one of them to carry ADA similar to Aqua Forest. Really, there are only two stores down here that I think could handle it, and only one I am willing to work with of the two.

Regardless...I like the start on this tank. Can't wait to see where it goes.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Ah, a refreshing thread at last :D

What I mean is that you have shown the thought process and research preceding the actual aquascaping.

I think that if one takes their time designing the aquascape the end result is very rewarding. The process itself is rewarding too.

Please post progress pictures of this tank after adding the plants.

--Nikolay

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
photo #2 will look nicer with more plant types.

You need some different wood.
Rocks are nice though.

See about getting two taller pieces perhaps of rocks or more wood.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So I changed the hardscape to include the position of the wood that I liked in the first pic and the amount of rocks from the second. Niko thanks for the plants, got the tank setup today, with a few of the species I was hoping for. I plan to work on it some more on friday. I've got some glosso and anubias that have been in my emersed tank, while I was taking a break from the hobby.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also think it`ll look quite good. But you´ll have alot to do with cutting your plants when the grew enough. Much luck

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
For now I'm not focusing to much on the aquascape, but more on getting the tank balanced and the plants growing healthy. One thing that transformed out of accident is the path between to two rocks on the left. When things grow in more, I think it would look nice to exaggerate the path with some foreground plants. I slacked off a little with ferts and checking co2, and some of the plants I received arrived in poor shape, so I had to clean a lot of algae out of the tank. And I'm getting some coloration in the water, either from the driftwood or from the diamond black.

I'm running 2x24W t5 bulbs, 10 hours a day. My KH drops from 140 ppm to 80ppm by the end of the week from the aquasoil. I'm dosing 8mg/l No3 and .5 mg/l three times a week, 3 ml of flourish three times a week. The ferts I mixed up using the fertilizer calculator,
Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 lb. KH2PO4
2tsp(11.2 grams) added to a 500mL container will add .24 P04(17 gallons water column)
for every mL dosed.
Target = .5 ppm
Potassium Nitrate 1 lb. KNO3
7 tbsp (109 grams) added to a 500mL container will add 2ppm No3 (17 gallons water column) for every mL dosed.
Target = 10 ppm

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hey Greg,

Are you sure that's not unicellular algae ("greenwater") coloring the water? Also, Amano seems to like to level the substrate along the front edge ... if you're really up to the idea of borrowing his style. :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts