Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Eco Complete only has macros and traces.
Its a all natural substrate.

Aquasoil I think has everything.
It is a modified substrate.

Please use the search function, There is a lot of threads on this topic.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
A more proper question would be "Why is AquaSoil far better than any other substrate?" :)

One of the reasons that Aquasoil is better is that maintains slightly acidic environment for the roots. It has other properties too, but this one is the main thing that makes it so much better.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
654 Posts
For me, I can grow plants much better in ADA substrate. I prefer the original Amazonia. It's not compact and hard for the roots to grow in. Plus all the "magic" stuff that comes with it. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also realize the bags ada sells are in litres? How many bags i need for a 20 gal tank? I only know in lbs like eco complete i would need 2 bags for a 20 gal dont know how to calculate in litres.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You can do away with one bag. I like to buy extra just in case I want to be more creative like adding slope. If you are adding decorative sand, one bag is enough.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
From ADG's website:

AQUARIUM SIZE || POWER SAND || AQUA SOIL
ADA 60cm (24in. X 12in.) = U.S. 15 gal. || 1- 2 liter bag "S", Regular || 1- 9 liter bag
or Special type

Standard U.S. 20 gallon (high or long) || 1- 2 liter bag "S", Regular || 1- 9 liter bag +
or Special type 1- 3 liter bag

ADA 90cm (36in. X 18in.) = U.S. 58 gal. || 2- 2 liter bags "M", Regular || 3- 9 liter bags
or Special type

ADA 120cm (48in. X 18in.) = U.S. 75 gal. || 3- 2 liter bags "M", Regular or || 4- 9 liter bags
1- 6 liter bag "M" Special type

ADA 180cm (72in. X 24in.) = U.S. 180 gal. || 9- 2 liter bags "L", Regular or || 9- 9 liter bags
1- 18 liter bag "L" Special type

*note that a a 9 liter bag of is approximately 20 lbs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
currently I have a tank with eco, just amazonia 2 and then amazonia 2 and power sand. I'd definately recommend that you buy special power sand. It will from day 1 keep your water clear. I had a fog with just the amazonia 2 for more then a week. Also anytime I disturb the substrate I get a little of a fog. Doesn't happen in my tank with special powersand.

·
Registered
395 Posts
you can always calculate the volume of substrate you wish to put in your tank in cubic inches just by taking some measurements with a tape or something...then take that volume and google "unit conversion" or something like that and it will pump your inches into liters. very easy. also, i would recommend amazonia I instead of II.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Wont the powered layer eventually settle to the bottom with the larger regular grains on top?
Maybe, but by that time your plants have grown in and you can't see your substrate anyways.;)
My point is that powder, as opposed to regular, is just a cosmetic difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have amazonia 2 and a lot of the black has gone away exposing the orange. It has lowered my ph to 6.8, which is what I wanted, but I also wanted a solid black substrate. My ecocomplete has worked out well for me- great growth, solid color, and does not fog the water up for a day every time it is disturbed. If you are raising CRS then go for the A2 otherwise get the less expensive eco.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You'd be suprised how close much more is in an 9L bag of ADA vs 20lb bag of Ecocomplete.

I set up my 20H with 1 9L amazonia and one 2L Powersand Special S. It's worth the extra cost. I'd be comfortable saying that that combination is more than 20 lb bags of eco.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.