Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am using Solar I. Has all the power I need to grow anything. Their electronic ballast is also very light......Best in my opinion. Certainly makes me wanna sell my never used Coralife;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I might have a buyer for you. :) Actually this question is for a new member. I'm trying to help her with all the option. You know me Paul, i blast my tank with metal halide!

·
Registered
378 Posts
im actually going to try LED's on a 60p if i can get it to work on a 10 gallon. if im right you would need about 30x 1w led's at 125 lm each to get about 72 watts of PC

·
Registered
719 Posts
The Tek light is the way to go for the price. At just over $200 it provides the most bang for the buck. If I keep my 60cm (instead of buying a 90cm :) ), I'm gonna upgrade to that one.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool deal. I will suggest the Tek to her. Now where would one suggest to get this tek lighting.

·
Registered
167 Posts
+1 on the 4x 24w Tek. This is what I use on my 60-P. You should consider buying a nicer hanging kit (or the feet if you want to set it on the aquarium). I really like the single-point hanging kit - looks cleaner than the dual-point when setup right.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dapellegrini, the person I'm helping prefer hanging the light. what do you mean by the single-point vs the dual?

Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
167 Posts
The problem - that you don't realize until you hang one of these from the ceiling - is that the power cords can cause the light to hang weird. They put more pull/weight on the back corner. You can solve this by consistent bending of the cords until you get them to conform - or by attaching them to something along the way down (velcro wraps work perfect) that removes the pull on the cords (filter tubing down the back of the tank is a good candidate).

The 2 point system will let you balance the light front-to-back if you are having trouble with it where the cords pull the back down and thus angle the front forward. The single point system won't afford you this luxury, but it looks a lot cleaner if you have an easy way of dealing with the tug from the power cords.

Good luck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to propose all these option to her and let her decide what would work with her setup depending on the room. I think all of these are perfect.

Bunbuku, that setup is really nice.

Stopped by Paul's place today, the solar I is also nice.

·
Registered
167 Posts
These are all ok options - BUT the Solar I is way over priced and ADA underpowers their fixtures, so you end up with less light output. The Aqua Medic pendant (I run one on a Mini-M Reef setup) is a good little light - but it produces a lot of heat and you would not get as good light dispersion as you will with the Tek - which is the best bang for your buck. The AM Ballast also starts to buzz after a couple of months.

If you are interested in a MH pendant, I have heard good things about these (look a lot like the AM, but way cheaper):

http://www.fishneedit.com/150w-metal-halide-pendant-lig.html

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have both Solar I and Tech 24. I agree with everything you guys said. Personally, I prefer to hang the light using the Solar I arm as it is easier for me to work with things, rather than hanging from the ceiling. Which brings up the Tech 24. I got BOTH suspension system for Tech 24 AND the leg to sit on the tank. In my opinion, legs =BAD IDEA on ADA tanks as they are rimless. The legs of Tech will scratch and every time I move the lighting, the legs would scratch against the glass........just aches my heart;) (Did remedy this by placing thin pieces of sponge beneath the legs to cushion it against the glass, but then if you are going for the aesthetics, not a good sight....).

While at it, Luis and I also tried hanging the Tech 24 on Solar I stand.........Didn't work out too well bec it was too heavy for the arm.....caused it to bend slightly. I do love Tech 24 coverage. So in the end, it came down to personal choice and I opted for Solar I.........now this was before they jacked up the price..........If I remember correctly, a friend here had a similar Q, and in the end he went for AM and was VERY happy with it. And yes, ADA is great and all but the price.......big turn-off. But then again, can't beat their ever-so light electronic ballast;)

Thanh, I should have given you the suspension so you can give it to your friend IF she decides to go with Tech 24. Speaking of lightings, whatever happened to Coralife MH, haha! I also have one of those I never even used..............

But then again, these unused gears all lend us excuse to say/think....".....Ah, maybe someday I can setup another tank....."

Sorry for all the ramblings........Just waiting for hair to dry at 2AM, after I cleaned my 60-P:p

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
How about this Giesemann? Its available in a variety of finishes and has the minimalist clean line style. Plus it looks light weight enough to hang from the Solar I arm http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~GL1113~idCategory~FILTFIMHPDDE~category~Double_Ended_Metal_Halide_Pendants-Metal_Halide_Pendants-Metal_Halide_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-Light_Fixtures_for_Saltwater___Reef_Aquariums-Lighting_Supplies_for_Saltwater___Reef_Aquariums-Saltwater_Aquarium_Fish__Coral___Reef_Supplies~vendor~.html.

I agree with Paul, if your friend is at all interested in hanging the fixture from the Solar I arm, small and light is a must. If you have the DIY skills to build one out of pipe conduit and make it look a piece of furniture then your options are wide open.

dapelliegrini is right, you can hear the ballast from the AM hum when you get really close to it. Probably a transformer. But at least in my unit its not perceptible enough to bother anyone. My unit is ~6-7 months old.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts