Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what are the risks? Putting the tank together in a day or two. Adding fish and shrimps at once?

Or should the tank be given time to settle?

Interested to hear your experiences and thoughts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the exact opposite situation: I decided to add a little bit of dirt to my tank in the form of a potted "bulb". This was months after my tank had cycled. I was surprised by how much a fist full of soil affected my parameters, not to mention the amount of tannins that were released - nothing lethal - but enough to make me wary of dumping livestock into a Walstad tank without giving it time to settle down.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would at least test and make sure your parameters are stable before adding stuff. A lot of times it seems like fresh dirt just needs to be flushed out after it's first added, then it's fine. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks to stop leaching ammonia, other times a couple days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As a general rule shrimps require a mature stable tank so the risk is that they die from poor water condition. Here poor does not mean 'dirty' but rather stability of the cycle and lack of biofilm.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I also think it's better to be patient and see that plants are starting to establish in the tank.

Starting up my second walstad this weekend. It's going to be 20g tank full of plants 😊

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm setting up a 10G, not strictly Walstad but with Fluval Stratum (leeching ammonia) and sand and a variety of "easy" low tech plants. Tank was started on Monday, and I test daily. I do not really see any benefits why one should rush things. In my view I just have drowned plants that need to adjust first before they can be useful to fish. Daily water changes could be done if fish were to be added prematurely, but what are the benefits?

·
Super Moderator
2,787 Posts
Adding fish right after setup is not a benefit, only a possibility. I just did it routinely, because the fish were in buckets waiting for a new home. The plants were home-grown (i.e., acclimated to the submerged condition and ready-to-go).

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adding fish right after setup is not a benefit, only a possibility. I just did it routinely, because the fish were in buckets waiting for a new home. The plants were home-grown (i.e., acclimated to the submerged condition and ready-to-go).
Okay, that explained a lot.

My tank has been running for a week now and did first tests yesterday. Ammonium 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10. Gh, ph, and kh were ok. But I haven't seen that new plants would have established yet..

I did add bladder snails to the tank first day and they seem to be doing fine 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts