Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month, I had bought some KNO3 in dry form for my El natural tank since it's showing signs of a potassium as well as a nitrogen deficiency.

I had added 1/8 of a tsp(actually, a little less then that) to a small amount of water then added it to my 10g tank. It raised my nitrates up from 0ppm to 10ppm. What I would like to know is how much would that amount have raised my potassium up to? Should I add something else to the tank like potassium sulfate, etc.? I'm new to fertilizers.

Thank you.

· Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KNO3 is about 40% potassium and 60% NO3. So, you get about 2/3 as much ppm of K as of NO3 when you dose KNO3.
When I read your post, I looked at the container of KNO3 and on the packaging it says there is 44% potassium and 12% nitrate. Could this be wrong? If it is wrong, should I be dosing the tank with another potassium source to make sure the plants have enough of it? I heard that the recommended levels of K for plants are from 15-25ppm.

I bought the KNO3 from a hydroponics shop so I don't know if it would contain different amounts of nutrients, etc., then the fertilizers that you would by at a LFS.

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
When I read your post, I looked at the container of KNO3 and on the packaging it says there is 44% potassium and 12% nitrate. Could this be wrong? If it is wrong, should I be dosing the tank with another potassium source to make sure the plants have enough of it? I heard that the recommended levels of K for plants are from 15-25ppm.

I bought the KNO3 from a hydroponics shop so I don't know if it would contain different amounts of nutrients, etc., then the fertilizers that you would by at a LFS.
Agricultural fertilizers are rated by percent nitrogen, not nitrate, so the 12% refers to nitrogen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.