Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone this is my first post and i'm looking for help! Surprise! I'm planning to set up a low tech set up, it's a four foot rena tank with two T8 arcadia bulbs, fresh and original. I'm gonna use tetra substrate topped with gravel. Any suggestions for plants suited for this set up? And where is it best to get them, mail order, ebay or lfs? As you might have guessed i'm new to the planted set up although i've kept fish for about 20 years on and off. Any help or tips would be great!:D

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Hey, first off, welcome to apc! Let me suggest a little reading first - these 2 for starters:
http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/basics/pages/index.html
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ums/14684-new-tank-setup-guide-parts-1-a.html

Also check out the 'el natural' forum here for another way to run your tank. Using in the neighborhood of 1.5 - 1.75 wpg (watts per gallon) of lighting should help to maintain it fairly low tech.

As far as plants, there's lots of good stuff in the for sale forum here. Also check out some of the sponsors here which also sell plants. If you get them from the lfs, just be aware that often times many plants are sold which are NOT true aquatics. These will only serve to frustrate you.

Read lots and ask away! :)

Again, welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Another Monkey! Welcome abaord!

Definitely read up on the links that Bert H posted. A few easy/low-tech plants to consider starting with would be Java Fern, any type of aquatic moss, anubias, hornwort, anacharis, and sword plants. There are others, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

-Dave

·
Registered
654 Posts
Steviemonkey, welcome to the forum. :partyman: It might be better if you can provide us how big your tank is. Do you have co2 and what kind of light you are using.

Dave, stop monkeying around. :rofl:

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, i have been doing a lot of reading on the afforementioned subject. Just thought i'd get some up to date opinions from some people in the know! My tank is a Rena Aqualife 300litre, dimensions are 120x41x71cm. It has two 38w bulbs and no co2 injection. It will have a layer of basic tetra substrate topped with small grade pea gravel, i have one large piece of bogwood which i plan to attach some moss, which one i'm not sure!?, and java fern. Probably some vallis and swords for the background, i would like a short carpeting plant but not too sure if any would grow in this set up? Another thing, there might be some delay in my replies as i'm from Scotland and i have just realised your all from America! Your probably all tucked up un bed just now! Hope your all doing well in that big crazy country of yours, exciting times for you all, i can feel the buzz about Obama over here!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
You still didn't answer our questions. How about a picture?

I have read that most carpet plants need high light. I have seen someone use wisteria, a weed, as a carpet plant. It needs potassium sulfate to grow good.

Buying dry ferts is cheaper. I am a novice to ferts. I am finding that I am keeping algae at bay by adding potassium sulfate and potassium nitrate. I need these for my water is very soft.

If you need ferts is debatable. Every tank is different. Some dose regular with ferts, thus they have to do regular water changes. With low light tanks, when they get balanced, water changes are only necessary once a month. Diane Walsted, says with El Natural style very few water changes necessary but she uses an UV sterilizer.

Just getting up and a little bit in a daze, for I work into the wee mourning. Thus missed a few things reading.

Is this your first planted tank?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts