Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found brown ramshorn snails in my planted tank. Should I be trying to get them out. I have heard mixed reaction on this.
thanks

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I personally like snails. They are benificial by eating algea, dieing plant matter & uneaten food. Unless they are plague portions then I would leave them be. If you do not over feed then their numbers will not get out of hand.

·
Registered
355 Posts
They are good.
Right now my tank is suffering Diatom for 1 month, and if I knew before hand.. I thought it was GBA but it turned out to be Green Diatom, and my pond snails are clearing it out!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Like others have said, its a personal preference. I introduced red ramshorns to my tank for interest and to be a mini clean-up crew, and I've found that as the generations go by, my red ramshorns are slowly becoming orange and yellow ramshorns. I guess they have some dominant yellow genes...

The only negative, Id say, is that they may be hard to eradicate if the population explodes, and that they do eat some plants. But in general, I personally enjoy their presence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts