Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would some generous attendee of the AGA 2004 meeting please provide a simple 1.2.3.... precis of Oliver's presentation? I know that Oliver was not able to use visual support and that I heard he was a late replacement, but I think his presentation would be useful to hear on ACP.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Will the DVD also have Mike Senske's presentation on paludariums?

--Nikolay

·
Registered
14 Posts
AGA2K4 DVD

Unfortunately, looks like the sound on Oliver Knott and Paul Krombholz' presentations was pretty bad (almost non-existant), so they won't make it on the DVD. If there's real interest, I might try to boost the sound & put the thing out as an AVI or MP3 through bittorrent.

The good news, though, is that all the other presentations had very good sound and picture (best ever for me), and I'm through editing. Just gotta cram it all onto one DVD. Hoping to have the disk mastered in the next week.

Pardon my late appearance -- not really a forum person! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Erik, thank you for the hard work you put in to make seeing the conference presentations possible for those of us who couldn't make the trip.

I, too, would like to see Oliver's presentation if it can be made available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oliver's Presentation - Bittorrent Download (experimental)

OK, this is the first time I've tried to do all the pieces, so it might not work quite right... I've put together an extremely shoddy avi file of the extremely shoddy footage of Oliver's talk. So as not to kill my own bandwidth with this 52 megabyte file, I'm distributing it via BitTorrent. The torrent file is at http://mystery.thekrib.com/oliver.avi.torrent

If not familiar with BitTorrent, you need to get a BitTorrent client (I prefer the one at http://bittornado.com , and install that first, then you can download the file.

The file itself requires the DivX codec to play; it can be downloaded free at www.divx.com (not sure if they still have the spyware version available, so if they do, don't pick that one).

Finally, please leave your download window open as long as possible after you've got the whole file -- it'll help anyone else out who's trying to download it.

Good luck!

- Erik

·
Registered
14 Posts
The experiment appears to have been a success -- looks like several were able to download the avi & are keeping it seeded (thanks). I just put up Paul's presentation as well. The torrent is at http://mystery.thekrib.com/paul.avi.torrent

Same deal as with downloading and playing Oliver's. Awful sound. Only improvement is I was able to drop in Paul's slides, so the video is only about half the size (27 meg). Please leave your bittorrent window open to help conserve the bandwidth.

I'm also finishing up the mastering on the DVD, and made enough space to include these two (in their tiny download form -- playable on computer only). So if you're buying the DVD, you will get these.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Well, I was able to download all the players adn files and it worked just fine. Took about 12minutes for the movie to actually download. I don't really understand how it works when you say to leave open the window. Is it like napster was, a sharing file thing? I will try to leave the actual download window open, is that what i am supposed to do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
dennis said:
I don't really understand how it works when you say to leave open the window. Is it like napster was, a sharing file thing? I will try to leave the actual download window open, is that what i am supposed to do?
That's right. With BitTorrent, the file is broken up into lots of pieces, and you download them in random order. As soon as you download a piece, your client starts uploading it to anyone else downloading who doesn't have that piece. But if you leave the download window open, after you have the complete file, it means you're now continuing to help "seed" the file to new downloaders.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.