Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever bought these separately? Do they come with holes already drilled so you could easily fit in the bulb clips? I need to know as soon as possible so I can go ahead and order two for my light since I've decided to take apart my JEBO and use its parts to build a brand new hood. The included reflector simply wasn't adequate, let alone giving the bulbs enough room to dissipate heat. Many thanks!

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I have purchased their 55W retrofit which comes with the reflector, and have also purchased the reflector for a diy hood for my 10 gal (2 x13W). I didn't have to drill any holes in any of the two. In any case, just call him. I can attest to his willingness to assist as needed.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Paul,

I have never used AH but I do believe the reflector is just polished aluminum. In that case, if the holes are not where you want them it is a very simple matter to drill aluminum. You can use regular drill bits, it drills very easy. Just put a piece of wood behind to support he metal as you drill so you don't deform that spot.

Hope that helped:)

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you don't have a drill, it is thin enough to puch through with a nail and hammer too. Just make sure you have some wood under it like Dennis pointed out.

Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good deal, guys;) Thank you for the speedy assistance! I am gonna place an order now then. The easy drilling part definitely lifted my previous worry about whether I can mess around with the reflector or not. I can't wait any longer because the plants are starting to wither a bit.

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
worth the money?

Do you really benefit from having them vs. not having them. Are these prolly about the best for the money? Making a part list for my DIY hood.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Gomer said:
That would be a Yes x 2.
Agreed, Reflectors play a vital role in light distribution. The benefits of having good reflectors is crucial. AHSupply's Reflectors are top notch.

Matt

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanna do a final input from my experience. I ordered two from AH Supply. Put them in along with JEBO parts into the new hood I built. All I can say is it was like looking at a whole new BRIGHTER world;) When not using the hood, you can also double the reflector's use as mirrors, haha! I managed to spook myself several times during the night when I walk passed by it. The reflector will come with bulb clips and necessary screws plus an instruction. Good luck and have fun!

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts