Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Your pics showed up just fine.

I've been thinking of upgrading the rest of my tanks that don't already have CF's.
Is this something a gal like me with some limited wiring experience could easily do, or will I need to ask the Mr. who has a bunch of experience? Or could I try it myself, and ask him if I have questions? :)

Also, will they fit into most any strip (like a standard Perfecto), or do they need to be wider?

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Darn, can't see your last pics at all Sir... I really wanted to see the Mbuna tank too, since that's one I'll be upgrading. Being that they say Mbuna's like subdued lighting, do you find this kit to be too much for them? Or do they do okay with plenty of rocks and stuff to hide in?

While I'm at it; which bulbs do you recommend to go with the kit for plants? I'm not sure which one most closely resembles the GE Aqua Ray color that I'm so used to. :)

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Thanks to both of you for the help. :)
I'll go ahead and place the order now.

I'm ordering a total of 4 kits (1 - 55 watt, and 3 - 96 watt), but I'm just going to get one of them right now so I can get a feel for what works for me.

· Registered
6,356 Posts
Looks great Kevin. You have great step by step photos along the way. I might be taking a peek at them if need be as I go.
The Mbuna tank looks great too. :)

I have the 50/50 Smartlight set up on one of my tanks and at first the blue stood out, but now I really like the way it enhances the color of the fish and plants.

· Registered
6,356 Posts
JanS said:
Well, my 55 watt kit arrived yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes when I get around to it. :wink:
Well, 2 1/2 months later and it's still sitting in the box.... :oops:
I forgot about this post, but it was a good reminder how long the thing has been sitting there...
I did have one attempt with a single strip retrofit and realized it was from one of the full hoods and it was too short for the light. We were trying to figure out how the heck anyone could fit a kit into such a small space, then I measured the strip after all that wasted time and realized it wasn't 24" long like it was supposed to be.... :oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.