Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong name for it, but I mean the kind of roots that grow from the midle of the plants. From what I have been able to tell, this seems to appear mostly when the plants are to densly plantet, or if the lighting's to low. This is from a 30G tank with 4x18W of floresence lighting with reflector.

What makes air roots appeart, anybody know?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I experience the same thing. I dont know the reason why but it happens in al my tanks. I kind of like the look.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Quite normal, specially with the plants you mentioned. I'm not sure if it indicates anything but it sure doesn't indicate anything bad :) Perhaps the presence of nutrients in the water....

Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
193 Posts
Are you using any substrate fertilizer :?: Maybe for the heavy roots feeders they are not getting enough nutrients from the substrate so they taking it from the water column.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Those roots are normal and don't indicate a problem. My alternanthera does it too, extensively. That is why it is behind a mound of java fern. :)

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I do not think side roots have anything to do with low light or dense planting. In my experience this occurs in high or low lighting and dense or non-dense plantings. It is very normal and a sign of a healthy plant.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't agree that this is a signe of healty plants. I have had this a number of times, and it's always been a case of to low light levels, or simply to dens planting. I don't get why they send out this roots, but in my tanks it has always been a sign of some defficiensy (how the heck do you spell that anyways :oops: )

I guess I see the logic of roots meaning high or low fertilizer levels in the water colum, but that has never been the case in my tanks.

anybody else with some information on this?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Why do you not think this is a sign of healthy plant?

I have tanks ranging from 2wpg to 6wpg and most always get these side roots from stem plants. I do not find that I have any deficiencys in my tanks. So in my case I see no relation between side roots and the light amount or a deficiency or dense plantings.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi again :)

I had this "problem" with plants when I used lower than 0,5 wpg. But after I changed to T5, and later to metal halid, I have never seen this in any of my plants exept for places where they are in a very shaded area.

don't mean to argue, just posting my experience with this :)

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Hanzo... No argument from me, I was just wondering because my experience seems to be opposite of yours. Would be nice to get some others with their experiences/opinions on this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts