Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am plagued with sting like algae. I am at a loss! Is it just new tank syndrome or am i missing something? The tank has been up for about a month which i know is nothing in the grand scheme of things. All of my other tanks have been running for years and i dont recall ever getting an algae bloom to this extent in the beginning. So let me give you guys a run down of my system, h20 parameters, fertilizing dosing methods, and livestock.

System: ADA 60-p (roughly 17-18 gallons), eheim 2215 ( i have a extra bag of carbon cause i never really liked carbon pads, and a bag of seachem phosguard in the canister.) 9 watt UV in line on the return side of the filter, 200 watt inline heater. 150 watt hqi ADA solar 1 for lighting. pressurized co2 on a timer with an ADA beetle diffusor. I also have the cal aqua x double drop checker. I am also using RO/DI water for water changes, and Kold-steril auto top off. Both have relatively brand new filters/membranes.

H2O param's:
NH4+ = .001ppm (colorimeter)
NO2= .002ppm (colorimeter)
NO3= 10 (elos kit)
ph = 7.68 (ph meter)
gh= 3 (elos kit)
temp= 26 C (TL1A Series thermometer)
(I have access to high precision testing due to my line of work. I am not that crazy to spend that money on my fish tanks hahaha. well maybe i would be but i dont have to :) )

Live stock
5 x amano shrimp
3 x rasbora het.
for plants i am only growing dwarf baby tears.

For ferts i am using pfertz. I am dosing the recommended dose for a lightly planted tank as they advise to do on their website.

Am i missing something? why is my algae so horrible?

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i forgot to add that the algae got worse since i started dosing the ferts. is this the possible cause. I think the algae is outcompeting the HC and maybe the reason the algae is thriving. Also would like to add that i cut my lighting cycle back to 4 hours a day in attempt to slow the algae growth. Should i leave it at 4 hours? cut it back more? or increase it? Should i stop using the ferts? change the amount i am dosing or change the amount of an individual fert?

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not looking to debate anything i am looking to solve my problem. i have been only keeping reefs aquariums for the past x amount of years. In a reef tank po4=bad! if you think the phosguard is actually the contributing factor than i will remove it and see if there lies the issue.

as for the corbon i added it to clear the cloudy water. it is probably expended by now anyway since the tank has been running for a month or so.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i am using pressurized co2 and according to the drop checker it appears that i have the right level of co2...

I have been removing algae as much as i can manually with forceps and by hand. The plants are new and are just beginning to root so i dont want to pull the plants to remove the algae so i am using the forceps as much as a can for the algae growing on them. i removed the phosguard and the carbon from the filter. So i guess i will keep you posted on the progress.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.