Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,333 Posts
Why are you using carbon and phosguard? Both of these ideas seem wrong to me. Plants require micronutrients which are effectively removed by the carbon. A phosphorus defeciency will often favor the formation of algae as well.

We can debate the ins and outs of algae and nutrient levels forever, but in simplest terms, if the plants are happy, algae do not proliferate.

· Registered
4,333 Posts
Oh, I'm referring to a fairly old argument that existed in the world of planted aquariums about 5 or 10 years ago. Back then there were a group of people who insisted that the key to controlling algae was to limit phosphate levels.

Unlike in reef systems, it's been pretty convincingly proven that phosphate is an essential nutrient to healthy plant growth. I wrongly jumped to the conclusion that since you were using Phosban, that you were still of the "old school" mindset that removing phosphate would "fix" your algae issues.

Most of us with higher-light systems and CO2 supplementation add nitrate and phosphate on a regular basis. This concept seems outrageous to reef people, but the plants sure appreciate it.

If you take care of the plants first, you'll find algae issues to be much less of a problem. In general, more CO2 and a balanced system of macro (N, P, K) and micro (mostly Fe, but also B, Mn, Mg, etc.) fertilization will take care of the needs of the plants.

· Registered
4,333 Posts
Well, that's a good start. It looks like you're already using pressurized CO2. Make sure you're using enough.

Generally, establishing good conditions and healthy plants will prevent the formation of new algae. Pre-existing algae will need to be manually removed, along with any plants that aren't exhibiting good health and vibrant growth. It can be a slow process, but if you focus on growing healthy plants you'll have 90% of the battle won.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.