Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Non substrate feeding plants would have a hard time if all the nutrients are in the substrate. So you limit your plant selection which is fine but some people prefer others.

Also if your water's pH is 7+pH, the chelated micro/iron only lasts a few hours before they become unavailable to plants & algae.

I've found a jungle tank packed with plants always control algae.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I've had a NPT 10G tank I've topped of but haven't done any maintenance for years. I don't dose anything; just fish food. It has minor clado but I let it be. Part of low maintenance is to be fine with algae.

A 10G seems to be a perfect size.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
We can go with allelopathy or simple oxidation to ward off algae off the plants. Oxidation on algae and iron. It looks like the iron oxidizes at night and photoreduce during the photoperiod.

I see BBA grow on hardscape but not healthy plants.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I don't know much on the field of allelopathy. I have a feeling the allelopathy effects are locally on leaves and not much else. I guess that oxygen produced locally would oxidize anything on the leaves too.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I've started dosing half of micro for a few weeks and the BBA, I think, is less aggressive these days. I've always wondered about why BBA is so aggressive in hi-tech tanks. It could be all the unnecessary micros that's dosed.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Re: Algae and Iro

I used to have bba ever,ywhere, even on gravel. Now with healthy plants and high plant mass, they disappeared.

Spray with h2o2 on exposed surfaces during water change, and dose initial 5x excel dosage after each WC.
I've tried it all.
I do maintain BBA with H2O2. I've given up eradicating it and just live with a little of it. Reducing micro seem to reduce the aggressiveness, so instead of treating every week, I treat every 2 weeks or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.