Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon tank, very hard well water and a serious black beard algae infestation!

We have been manually picking for weeks (years) no avail. In the tank are 2 pictus cats, 2 angels, tetras (congos, pristella's) a raphael catfish and 2 plecos that are going back to the fish store because they are eating all the plants (I know that now). Also have alot of light (orbit 48" with 4 65w bulbs).
I am planning the following:
- manual removal of as much as possible :icon_hang
- a 3-4 day blackout
- after blackout, starting exel
- buying a ro filter for my crappy water
- then maybe a uv sterilizer? or would a co2 system be better?

In my dreams I will have a beautiful planted aquarium with happy fish. Any help would be very appreciated.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks! Will order Flourish Excel right now!

I have removed all plants and cleaned tank. If I start with RO water, do I do it gradually? All RO or some of my (very hard - well water) tap?

When do I add new plants. Am definitely getting a CO2 system too, how do I know how much ppm?

Thank you!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay folks - thanks for all the help. My CO2 system is running, not stabilized yet, but going. Added more plants, fertilizing more and cut back light cycle. Started Excel today too. Now just 2-65w dual daylights on. But the tank looks bad with all that yellow. Can I add back my 2-65w dual actinic? Or too much still. Just need some blue!!

Another question - CO2 and surface agitation. I know, I know, its bad. My 75g has a biowheel powerfilter and undergravel filtration. Can I turn off the undergravel during the day when the CO2 is running? Biofilter would still be running and there is a submerged pump for circulation. Need to continue adding plants. Anything else????

So much stuff to learn!!! Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.