Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
My name is Keith and I am somewhat new to this forum. I have been reviewing posts and info on this site for the past month, although this is my first post.

I have a 75 gal planted tank, with a 50/50 clay base and gravel substrate, approx 300 watts of lighting (3 VHO's) and my ph is 7.2. A few months ago, many of my plants began to yellow and some withered away after doing very well for the past few years. Upon my reseach and discussions with numerous individuals, I found the the main culperate for this was iron difficency. Based upon the advise of a good friend I increased my dosage of fertilizer drastically to improve iron levels. Whereas I do agree with their explanation and it did improve my plants health, I had a major algae bloom. I have eliminated the major fertilizations and have gone back to an old reliable method of fertilization, root tabs. I still have a lot of algae on my aquarium glass and plant leaves. I would appreciate any advice on how I may eliminate the gross amount of algae as it has taken over my tank. Any advice?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I would love any advice I can get as this is the first time I have had such an outbreak and problem in the 6 years I have been aquascaping. Additional info. on my tank is:

I have no CO2......and the algae that appers is the slime algae (blue-gree) on my filter, bright green algae that grows on my aquarium sides and the beard and brush algae on my plants. My water temp. is 76 degrees, it is soft and I only use reverse osmosis water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts