Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
If iron overdosing causes algae outbreaks, where have my algae outbreaks been for oh, the last decade?

NO3.

That's the problem, lack of iron like you describe is unlikely to cause an algae bloom. It sounds much more like, Nitrogen to me.

Think about a 50/50 clay mix. Probably has plenty of iron for many years if that is your only source of Fe.

Do you add liquid iron as well?

By adding traces to an already slightly/morderately limited NO3 tank, you increased it's uptake and zeroed out the tank's supply of NO3.

Correlations do not imply iron caused anything.
Adding Iron=> more NO3 to be removed/at a faster rate etc.

Low NO3/poor CO2 are the two main causes of algae(~90-95%), or someone added of other changed something to cause NH4 from fish waste to build up/new tank or otherwise added NH4/urea to their tank.

BGA appears when you have too low NO3.

A non CO2 tank will poke along just fine unless you add something that does a couple of things, increase CO2 and NO3 uptake(adding Fe).

The non CO2 tank has a slower growth rate than a CO2 tank, but both in similar fashion.

It's up to you to use CO2 or not.

If you wish to improve growth of this tank, you will want to stick with one type of method there(CO2 or not).

You only need one 110w light on this tank for non CO2, maybe 2 for about 1-3 hours and then only one.

Stop doing water changes with RO, use tap water and add only enough tap water to fill for evaporation.

Yes, I just told you to stop doing water changes. Do them only after you root plants and large prunings etc(generally once every 3-6months.

We use water changes to re sset the faster growing CO2 enriched tanks to abalnce out a nice range of nutrients.

A non CO2 grows much slower and is able to have most of the plant's nutrient needs met by fish waste alone.

If you reduced the amount of fish food/ or fish you have in the tank, then this could have caused an issue.

To remove BGA, do a blackout, don't mess with Antibiotics, you don't need them. Remove what is there, net,siphon, trim etc, then do a 50% water change, turn lights off for 3 days and cover tank with trash bags/towle etc to keep 100% of the lights out, remove the bags and turn on less light this time(1-2 bulbs).

Add a little dolomite. This has KH/Mg and Ca.
Plants need Mg/Ca like any nutrient, RO water has none.

You can add a little KNO3, perhaps 1/4 teaspoon after you do the water change. Then turn off the light.

You might need to add more KNO3 here and there if plant growth is good and dense, perhaps 1/4 to 1/8th teaspoon once a week.

If you stop the water changes, the BBA should go away.

Blackout nor antiobiotics will help the other algae(just BGA).

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Lucky for the last what? 10 years?
Not likely.

I'm the clown that suggested adding 5mls to every 20 gal of water every other day.
Some add even more.

That's a lot of traces.
Certainly "excess" as far as algae are concerned.
Do you know how little Fe algae need?

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 2 of 2 Posts