Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Overdosing iron can cause algae out breaks, which looks like what happened in your case. Drastically increasing ferts at once is not a good idea, it should be done slowly to see how your plants react before increasing more. I would not stop dosing ferts all together only for a couple of weeks intil the algae comes under control.

Before further help can be given we need more info... Water paramaters, C02, water changes etc.

What type algae do you have?...
http://www.floridadriftwood.com/algae_identification.html

Welcome :)

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
First of all I would recommend injecting C02, with 4WPG it is needed.

RO water is not recommended for use in a planted tank due to the fact it does not have any nutrients unless your tap water is just really bad. However if you have been using RO water for 6 years with good results then don't fix what is'nt broke.

For the BGA you can use e-mycin to clear it up, a product called Maracyn works well. On the BBA pick as much off that you can by hand and cut off badly affected leaves. The use of C02 of 20-30ppm & balance of nutrients will help.

What are your N03 & P04 readings?
How long are your lights on daily?
How often & what % of water changes?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Tom, you have been overdosing :shock: iron with no hair algae problems :roll: , that is what I call lucky.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts