Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
apparently UG has the ability to propagate itself from its leaves. I have several leaves that became detached during the planting process and they are beginning to develop trap/root structures underneath the leaf. has anybody else noticed this?

· Registered
113 Posts
apparently UG has the ability to propagate itself from its leaves. I have several leaves that became detached during the planting process and they are beginning to develop trap/root structures underneath the leaf. has anybody else noticed this?
oh yeah... i have seen the same on some of mine...

btw... how long did it take your UG to acclimate to your tank???... mine seems to take forever... some of mine just keep uprooting and floating.... the other completely disappeared after i bought them... they maybe melted away....

i bought a bunch... but now there are only a very small amount left... is there any chance it will make it???

i noticed some have grown into some thread-like things without any leaves or roots.. however those things have the bladders... are those gonna develop roots and leaves later???

did you experience the same problem with your UG initially???...

also... since some of the UG are floating... can they still grow while floating?....

· Registered
112 Posts
oh yeah... i have seen the same on some of mine...

btw... how long did it take your UG to acclimate to your tank???... mine seems to take forever... some of mine just keep uprooting and floating.... the other completely disappeared after i bought them... they maybe melted away....

i bought a bunch... but now there are only a very small amount left... is there any chance it will make it???

i noticed some have grown into some thread-like things without any leaves or roots.. however those things have the bladders... are those gonna develop roots and leaves later???

did you experience the same problem with your UG initially???...

also... since some of the UG are floating... can they still grow while floating?....
i planted my UG approximately around august 8th. it's established for the most part, i can see side runners and traps spreading through the substrate against the glass.
i think the reason why your UG floats is because you didn't dig deep enough. one thing to note is that the entire plant is quite versatile, leaves can produce traps, roots produce traps, roots come from leaves, so it doesn't really matter that you partially bury some of the leaves--they hold on better that way.

the thing about carnivorous plants is that they have a shock period where they are severely stressed going from one environment to another, during this time, they shed leaves and pull back a bit. however, once when they are established, they thrive.

another thing, although this isn't confirmed yet, but check your nitrate levels. utricularia, and carnivorous plants in general are adapted to nitrogen poor soils and conditions--high levels of nitrates could be responsible for your UG meltage.

UG can still grow when it is floating. it does not derive nutrients from the soil as dependently as other aquatic plants, but consumes small inverts (paramecium, baby amphipods).

as for your detatched root structures, i think you might be out of luck...the plant needs some sort of photosynthetic component in order to survive. leaves are probably most successful for speedy propagation.

· Premium Member
6,409 Posts
tundrafour - what were the lighting conditions that you had the utricularia in when it bloomed? How many hours of light/dark did it have and what was the light source? I am trying to flower mine with 13 hours of light and 11 dark now but it hasn't flowered yet. I am beginning to think it requires long nights to bloom, but am not sure...

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I found this thread while looking for information about growing U. graminifolia immersed.

Terrestrial Utricularia produce lots and lots of tiny, orchid-like blooms. (Some species do this more easily than others, though!) Here is a picture of one of mine in September, 2007:

Easily as pretty above water as underwater. Anyone growing U. graminifolia in their aquarium should consider growing some emersed, as well. :)
There are also yellow and pink ones. I was told my is pink cause the place was collected. Different place have different colors. Without flowering you can not really tell.

· Premium Member
6,409 Posts
I looked it up. UG is native to China, India, Japan, Burma, and Thailand. It flowers in late summer to early autumn. During this time there is about 5.5 hours of light in these countries, which means there is about 18.5 hours of darkness.

So, based on this information I conclude that UG is a long night plant, which means if it is to be flowered, it must not see light at all during the 18.5 hours of darkness or it will interrupt the flowering process. Probably 10-20 days of this low light will cause it to flower.

· Registered
61 Posts
Sorry to everyone whose reply I neglected! I completely forgot I posted that picture, and just found the thread again while searching (again!) for information about U. graminifolia.

I didn't do anything special at all for the plant in the picture. The substrate was peat moss, perlite, and sand, I usually kept it pretty damp (pretty sure I just used tap water), and had about 55 watts of NO T5 lighting over it (along with a few other containers of carnivorous plants) for around eight hours a day. No heating or anything like that. It produced tons of blooms whenever the soil dried out a little.

Has anyone been growing emersed Utricularias? I have two, but nothing worth posting pictures of, unfortunately!

Edit: I forgot that I would also squirt a CC or two of aquarium water into the container every now and then, since Utricularias trap tiny aquatic organisms.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.