Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some weird things swimming around my newly planted RCS tank. The best way to describe them, because they are so very small, is tough to determine. They are about as small as they could be while remaining visible to the naked eye. They usually hang out at the surface of the tank, and appear white, and swim in very small, seemingly meaningless bursts of speed. They resemble fleas, or lice, but are much smaller.

What are these? some kind of daphnea or infusoria?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had that thought for a little while too... mebe if i added a white cloud or two they could eat those buggers and leave my shrimplest alone?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So now there is a different species of invertebrate, and the great link is now dead. it is round and much bigger than the "almost microscopic organisms" previously described. looks like a gray ladybug or tick, but more bulbous, and without any spots or coloration, just gray. about 1.5-2mm

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not really, it is so small, that i'd need a fancy macro lens (which i have access to).

I think I'll try and take a picture of it eventually, have to get my hands on the camera first.

I don't think that the bugs will effect the shrimp, but i think the bugs may be nibbling on my plants.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hard to get scale out of those pictures. the ones i have are no bigger than 1.5 mm in diameter. they seem to only eat debris/detrius

1 - 8 of 8 Posts