Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)

For anyone who is following this thread...
I nabbed this picture from a post a few threads up. My alternanthera looks exactly like this with the additional pinholing. Also I am seeing the same growth tip problems in my rotala 'green' which was growing very well a few weeks ago.

This looks way too much like a Ca deficiency, not Mg deficiency. I called the water dept and the was told I could go pick up a report from last yeat but for some reason they stopped including the Ca and Mg levels. The guy told me I could call "the lab" and they could help me out. I still have to follow up on this.

I am going to start dosing Kent Turbo Calcium and skip the Mg dose. Any comments?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have exactly the same problems (curling, leaf holes) with the alternatheras and curling on nasaea at the moment. Plus I have major interveinal chlorosis on the anubias. I have very low to almost 0 Mg (Ca is 80 ppm) so I add 5 ppm Mg every 3 days (maybe I add to much and block Ca?). This curling thing is still a mystery. I add everything in the tank in excess and do major wc before that twice a week plus I do daily dosings so there is no chance of deficiency including CO2. My NO3 is high ranging from 28 to 21 ppm measured with a colorimeter. Apart of this the tank is in top condition with no algae at all and fast growth.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Freemann, your observations are interesting. You appear to be adding everything in excess as I have. I am hoping the Ca will help my situation, but I am somewhat doubtful. I am growing anubias, glosso, monoselenium, and elatine triandra very well but this alternanthera problem plagues me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same problems with my Alternanthera.
My ferts condition is very similar to yours and I use ferts protocol according to the Plantbrain's indication.

I am experiencing good result adding a little amount of Boron (using H3BO3), less than one rise grain per 66 gal after weekly 50% water change. The boron deficiency has the same symptom of Ca one.

This evening I'll try to post a picture to show my result.

In particular, in my case, only few young leaves have curling and more than 50% of A. looks good.

Be very careful with boron that is toxic for fishes and plants.

Regards
Giuseppe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here a picture of my A.
Upper side the new leaves born after one week of Boron suppl (one dose one week ago).
Lower side the damaged leaves (curling, etc) before the treatment.

Sorry for poor picture quality, if need, I'll try to do better.

Regards
Giuseppe

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Laith said:
That's very interesting. I actually ended up throwing this plant out because I kept having this issue.

But I use CSM+B. The B is Boron. Maybe there isn't enough in the mix?
Maybe.
This evening, at home, I will post the complete list of macro and micro concentration that I use, including B supplement, in order to make a comparison with your situation.

I use a micro-elements mix available on Italian market quite similar to CSM+B and I suppose that the B is enough for all other plants because all plants look O.K.
I recognize that only some A., non all in my case, for a mysterious reason need B overdosing.

Regards
Giuseppe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Josef said:
Maybe.
This evening, at home, I will post the complete list of macro and micro concentration that I use, including B supplement, in order to make a comparison with your situation.

I use a micro-elements mix available on Italian market quite similar to CSM+B and I suppose that the B is enough for all other plants because all plants look O.K.
I recognize that only some A., non all in my case, for a mysterious reason need B overdosing.

Regards
Giuseppe
My water after weekly 50% W.C. with single fert dosage per week:

250L (=66gal); 24°C; 8dkH; 10dGH; 6.9pH; 25000lux; 360uS; moderate fish load.

Macro ppm
K 17.3
NO3 12.3
PO4 1.4
SO4 11.0

Micro ppm
B 0.012
Co 0.000
Cu 0.015
Fe 0.400
Mg 0.090
Mn 0.040
Mo 0.001
Zn 0.015

Sometime I dose ferts twice per week.

Remark: H3BO3 includes 18% of Boron (B)

Regards
Giuseppe

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok here are some photos of the plants with problems.
I can assure you that all are in excess (I am using professional colorimeter for Fe NO3 PO4 plus a turbidometer for K). I have added Boron myself in addition to the boron included in Flourish which I add as-well. Still alternathera "melts" away. By the way before I started the excess regime the alternathera was 90% ok. All the other plants are ok but alternatheras (3 species) some newly introduced long leave stelata and the aromatica. Could it be some toxicity thing?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
There may be multiple issues we're seeing here with the Alternathera. My problems look like the pic that Overfloater posted. The pics that Freeman posts here are not the same, imo. Maybe you should back off on some of the excesses? It's tough to establish a cause/effect when too many things change too quickly. The proper way to do this kind of testing is under controlled conditions which very few of us are willing to do with their prized tanks.

·
Banned
286 Posts
same problem

Im having the same problem on the leaves of my ammania g. They are getting gnarly, developing holes and falling off. I am dosing flourish 10ml 3x a week. 2ppm phosphate 3x week, 8ppm kno3 3x a week, 3 grams MAg Sulfate, 3 grams cacl2, 20ppm K2so4 all weekly, and flourish excel daily. I keep over 30ppm of co2 with over 3.5wpg of PC light in Eco complete substrate. This is kind of bafling me. My temp is 75-78 but it did shoot up to 80 twice this week. Any ideas??

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.