Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good alternatives to fish...
I'm going to keep a no-fish tank( strange, but yes)
So what can i put in it , but still be aesthetically pleasing? and not pricey either..

I already thought of African dwarf frogs, and maybe ghost shrimp, but i wanted a bit more color
added to my tank...

thanks for your help, and remember no fish..8)

·
Registered
414 Posts
All kinds of shrimp :) They come in a bunch of different colors but some species can get pricey. You can take a look at my website in my signature for some ideas of the different shrimp available out there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice website, i am liking the idea of keeping the blue pearl shrimps.

Thanks for your link to your website...

·
Registered
816 Posts
an amazing variety of shrimp out there. Do some research and see what appeals to you. you might find shrimp are your think. I am prefering tem to fish now.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
There are also some very interesting snails that are plant safe. Some of the nerites have nice patterning and brigs are interesting to watch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a friend who keeps newts fairly successfully in a paludarium with frogs. I was surprised, I had expected them to be more sensitive and more land-based. But whenever I'm over I mostly see them hanging in a 'cave' underwater. He has a couple plastic logs which float at the surface, they like to sit inside those.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
My nerites are always moving around. Currently I only have olive nerites but I'd like to get some like this spotted nerite. I don't have brigs now but when I did they were frequently moving around and they could cover a large area in relatively little time. It was fun because I could feed them directly when they came near the water surface. I also like some of the more colorful ramshorn snails. I've had some pretty spotted ones and have seen some deep red ones.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, so I'm very interested in shrimp,aquatic frogs, and snails?

Can anyone give me or link or post the information about what they eat, and what 2 species of any of the 2(and if u can all 3)
are less aggressive towards each other and wont eat each other?

·
Registered
414 Posts
If they can catch them they will eat them, just not sure which kinds can actually catch them. The african dwarf frogs may beable to get some of them but i know people who keep them with their shrimp and the population stays steady. Almost all frogs need some way to get out of the water anyways and probably won't spend much time in it. Are you doing a terrarium?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If they can catch them they will eat them, just not sure which kinds can actually catch them. The african dwarf frogs may beable to get some of them but i know people who keep them with their shrimp and the population stays steady. Almost all frogs need some way to get out of the water anyways and probably won't spend much time in it. Are you doing a terrarium?
Thanks for bringing that up, i was aware that all frogs need land, but the frogs at walmart, its right outside my house so thats why ill purchase them there, they come in a plastic "cup"(if you will) and its just a frog inside water, so i assumed it was a full aquatic frog?

AM i wrong?:confused:

·
Registered
172 Posts
don't know how much I'd trust frogs w/ dwarf shrimp... if you are going with the blue pearls (excellent choice, btw), in addition to whatever snail, you could always try dwarf crayfish. they do hide a lot though... but it is another non-fish you could try, that will not harm your dwarf shrimps!

good luck!

-Rich

1 - 20 of 26 Posts