Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Amano shrimp with Rainbow Fish

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Six 
#1 ·
Anyone know if the following Rainbow fish will leave Amano shrimp alone? Right now they are all mid-sized.

I have;
New Guinea Rainbowfish
Melanotaenia boesemani
Salmon-Red Rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus)
Turquoise rainbow (Melanotaenia lacustris)
Praecox

#4 ·
I think night might help. It's worth a try. It depends on the cover they have to hide in. Eleocharis harigrass is OK, but not superb. Mine tend to play around between the fronds of a Rotala rotundifolia thicket and in and around Anubias sp. nana. The largest shrimp is the same size as the largest female M. praecox now so there is no problem. When the shrimp arrived from Florida, they were about 2-3cm in size.

Out of about 12 shrimp I put in there, 3 surivived and they grew large. In another no-fish aquarium, 100% surivive and I have a myriad of 1cm shrimp several weeks later.

Cherry Reds do not stand a hope in you know where. I bought a lot and they were expensive and stupidly fed them to the rainbows. An expensive meal!

They're certainly worth the effort (both rainbows and shrimp).

Andrew Cribb

#6 ·
If the r'bows are small they'll ignore them for a while, but yea, they will chomp on small shrimp. If you have a very well planted tank some may survive- you'll select for the ones that can hide the best though, which means eventually the shrimp colony's color may fade.

I keep amanos with my madagascar r'bows with no problem and I always use cherries as clean up crews for my r'bow fry/grow out tanks.

GL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.