Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my tank has been up about 6 months and really looks spectacular! Plants are pearling, fish are mating NPK is within range. All seemed right in the world.

About 10 days ago I noticed on one Amazon Sward Plant, a dark spot at the base of a leaf very near the central rosette. Gradually, all the new leaves in the central rosette began to rot (It looks like lettuce that has been in the refrigerator too long). The mature leaves on the outside are not affected and seem quite healthy growing and pearling as usual.

So far the rot has not spread past this one plant.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Your substrate is becoming anaerobic. Basically there is not enough gas exchange through the soil. This is why many suggest against sand. What kind of substrate do you have? I have had this problem in my tank, periodically I stir up the gravel and stop it from getting to compacted.

·
Banned
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My substrate is Eco Complete. How do you recommend stirring up the substrate?

I have no problem with digging this plant up and throwing it away if there is some kind of bacterial problem that will spread to the rest of my tank. My tank is an Amazon Sward plant jungle and a plague will really set it back. (I’m close to doing that now).

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have never see this with eco complete, it is bacteria. But this is not always bad bacteria in fact some say it is good to have a little in the tank. I would dig up the plant trim all the rot back and replant. I would only throw it away if all of the plant is like that.

·
Banned
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well whatever it is, it has spread to some of the other Amazons. The good news is that the original plant has recovered and is growing well.

I'll try to take some photos and post them but I'm not good at taking pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happened to me as well. I had kitty litter with a lot of small grain gravel over the top. I removed several inches of gravel and have just a small layer over the kitty litter. It is terrible when I plant or move plants because it gets very cloudy, but the sword plants have gradually started coming back and look much better.

·
Banned
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This happened to me as well. I had kitty litter with a lot of small grain gravel over the top. I removed several inches of gravel and have just a small layer over the kitty litter. It is terrible when I plant or move plants because it gets very cloudy, but the sword plants have gradually started coming back and look much better.
OK, Why would you use kitty litter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pure kitty litter is just plain clay. Poor mans substrate back when laterite was the only available substrate at the LFS, worked well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Maybe it was your pH controller?

Just kidding...:D

Assuming your parameters are in check, maybe take a look at flow? Is the area collecting detritus? Stagnant water at the core because the leaves are getting to big?

Charlie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts