Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an iwagumi setup for the last 5+ months with HC lawn and Bylxa. Substrate consists of 3 cm Amazonia II regular in the front, sloping to 6 cm in the back with Powersand special underneath. I also have ~1 cm of "powder type" Amazonia II as the topmost layer as recommended by ADA.

Apart from water changes weekly, I don't do much to mess with the substrate. I have not uprooted or replanted anything since the initial setup. I noticed about 6 weeks ago that the "powder" layer of AS is is losing its granular structure literally disintegrating. The past couple of weeks, I noticed that the "regular" Amazonia II layer is doing the same. Anyone have similar experiences is Amazonia II after long term usage?

AFAIK there was no negative effect on water quality or clarity. Plants still seem to be growing fine and I have to trim back my HC lawn every 6 wks or so.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After I sucked out the melted HC gunk (hurricane casualty), I think its mostly the top layer of "powder type" Amazonia II that has disintegrated. So I removed that as much as a I could with a hose.

Not had too much issues with cloudy water or brown dust on the Blyxa, despite oto's and Amano's foraging around on bare Aquasoil. I have some Lilaeopsis brasiliensis coming in this week. We'll see how well it holds up to replanting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts