Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
One tetra
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or subforum, but here goes...

Is it possible to have high ammonia levels but low nitrite levels in a heavily planted nonfertilized aquarium? I thought that ammonia was a preferred nitrogen source of plants. Therefore, I thought ammonia reduction would PRECEDE the reduction of other nitrogen sources.

In a heavily planted tank with zero ammonia, is the low ammonia concentration due to plant uptake, or is it because of the good bacteria converting ammonia to less toxic products?

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
You just have to wait till the tank cycles. In 1000000 out of 1000000 tanks, if you at first have high ammonia given a few weeks that ammonia will be converted to nitrite then in a little bit longer the nitrite will be converted to nitrate.

Ammonia is not the preferred nutrient plants enjoy. Again, it is nitrates.

·
Registered
One tetra
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much appreciated. Thank you for that information!

You just have to wait till the tank cycles. In 1000000 out of 1000000 tanks, if you at first have high ammonia given a few weeks that ammonia will be converted to nitrite then in a little bit longer the nitrite will be converted to nitrate.

Ammonia is not the preferred nutrient plants enjoy. Again, it is nitrates.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Plants take in both ammonia and nitrates but only nitrates during the photoperiod since it takes extra energy to convert NO3 back into NH3.

·
Registered
22 Posts
there are two things that could be happening. One is the tank i not cycled and doesn't have ammonia consuming bacteria in it. Properly cycling a tank involves added ammonia to the water before you put the fish in. This encourages the growth of ammonia consuming bacteria. Then some of the ammonia turns into nitrite which encourages nitrite consuming bacteria. so a properly cycled tank will have nitrate and little to no nitrite and ammonia.

The other posabilityis that the plants cannot grow. Plants need 14 nutrients to grow. If just one of the 14 is missing the plants will not grow. And if the plants cannot grow they cannot consume ammonia and nitrate. Additionally if there is a lot of ammonia the plant will have to grow very fast to consume it. Only growing plants can consume nutrients. Also plant can consume and process ammonia much faster than nitrate. Plants can consume nitrate but it takes multi step process which is slower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts