Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
I have been dosing NH4NO3 for some time now... 1.5g per 1000l daily. I do have a 9W UV unit running 24/7 as I have 450Watts of MH lighting the tank with CO2, so I am asking for green water if I add NH4.
down side is the leftover H+ that will slowly drop the pH.... I do a trade off with adding Ca(OH)2 every week. I test the water weekly, particularly the pH after allowing it to stand for 24hours to let off the dissolved CO2. I also add KHPO4 for the PO4 levels, so the amount of Ca(OH)2 will vary according to the amount of NH4NO3 and KHPO4 added to the tank on top of the normal organic acids being produced.

· Registered
23 Posts
One thing I have noticed (it was obvious after I finally thought of it) is I have been using ammonium nitrate NH4NO3, and testing weekly for nitrate only.... I have been keeping the NO3 at 15-20ppm, and now I keep it at 10ppm.... with much better results now.... I was over dosing the total N by not considering the NH4.....:rolleyes:
I feel silly having said this, I should have noticed a long time ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.