Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times can you trim a stand of plants before the plants get too thick? Lets say i planted them densly, and i just lobb off the top and leave the rooted part in. How many trimmings until i should replant the stand.

I've noticed 3 trimmings (6 weeks of growth) and it seems like it might be a good idea to totally replant the stand.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm sure that depends on which plants you're talking about and how densely you plant them to start with. Most of the stems that I handle that way can only take one trimming. With two trimmings they get too thick and/or are unhealthy. After the first topping I usually uproot the stems, trim from the bottom and replant. Some stems don't respond well to being topped, and those I will never top..

Roger Miller

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I think it really depends on the species. I know that for plants like Hemianthus micranthemoides and Heteranthera zosterifolia, I would just trim them across the top like a hedge every week with no ill effects. I would imagine that Rotala rotundifolia "Green" would fall under a similar category.

Plants like Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia brevipes, Ludwigia arcuata, Micranthemum umbrosum, etc would be topped off up to three times before replanting was necessary, since the bottom portions would begin to disentegrate.

Plant like Ammannia gracilis, Limnophila aquatica, and other large stem plants I would never top. I would rather save the impressive, larger stems instead of discard them. They also take a longer time to recover from topping (at least for me) than many of the smaller stem plants. Ludwigia 'Cuba' I would never top, since it reacts poorly to that form of pruning.

Carlos

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you notice angled growth out of Ludwigia sp cuba? I get it growing at like 45 degrees.

Thanks for help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts