Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Robert Hudson has recently been talking about this on another forum, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with an all-Crypt tank. Obviously there are some token species to be kept, but does anyone know how difficult it is to aquascape one of these things or their eventual growth habits? I was thinking a 50 breeder (I think it's 36" long by 18" tall by 18" deep) with 90 watts over it and a soil underlayer below gravel.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for all the responses!

I've been mulling over this idea for the past few days, and I think I've decided that I want to do a Cryptocoryne-heavy setup with plants and fish endemic to Southeast Asia. It's not going to be anything as complicated as a specific river or regional biotope, though.

Like I said in the first post in this thread, I was thinking a 50 breeder (I think it's 36" long by 18" tall by 18" deep) with 90 watts over it and a soil underlayer below gravel. Other than Crypts, what other plants might be suitable for that sort of an environment? I was thinking that maybe Limnophila sessiliflora would be an appropriate choice, as well as some Rotala rotundifolia. Other non-Crypt species I have been considering include Barclaya longifolia 'Red' (perhaps as a focal point?), Vesicularia dubyana, and Hygrophila difformis.

I was thinking that C. x willisi (I think it's usually sold under C. lucens) would be a good foreground. I've heard it grows faster than C. parva, even though it's a little bigger.

Is there a plant from the Sri Lankan wendtii/becketii/undulata/walkeri group that doesn't get TOO tall? I am fairly new at this, but I have seen pictures of the triploid form of C. becketii ("C. petchii") and also the bronze form of C. wendtii that are really pretty.

I was also hoping to add some Malaysian driftwood that I have in another tank to the setup and let the java moss grow on that.

Attached is a rough outline of what I have been thinking. PLEASE tell me what you think!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SCMurphy said:
Well, about the only thing I would say is that you should make sure that the substrate under your C. petchii stand is thicker than under the C. 'willisii foreground or you won't see them. They are about the same height in my tank, growing next to each other.

I would use a different Limnophila than the L. sessiliflora, which isn't the most attractive plant. L. aquatica, L. 'gigantia', or L. aromatica would be better choices in my mind. Besides if you are in the US L. sessiliflora is on the Federal noxious weed list and is not supposed to be for sale.

Any thought to using Cryptocoryne moehlmannii instead of the Hygrophilia?
Thanks! Those are some good ideas. If the C. petchii doesn't get that big, I might want to consider a larger species like C. undulata. Also, I was thinking of swtiching the R. rotundifolia with the L. sessiliflora anyway.

C. moehlmannii is a good idea behind the Barclaya...and I just happen to have some :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bingo! That's why I wanted the difformis there to begin with. Same shade of green as the C. moehlmannii.

Do you think there will be any issue with the leaf shapes being too similar?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts