Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if someone invented a device that would measure everything in one go, and would fit on the palm of your hand. No more test kits and stuff.
Or may be there is such a thing already?

·
Registered
676 Posts
There are handheld testing devices (colorimeters, photometers, etc...) that work by measuring a reference light through a sample vial, but these devices only measure one compound at a time (each sample still needs to have the proper reagent applied to affect a color change).

Anthing that could do all measurements with a single sample would most like be a desktop model...like a gas chromatogram (think CSI).

Regradless of availability, price of such a tester (and the subsequent maintenance to keep it calibrated) would be stretching the budget of the average hobbiest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CSI, that's what came to my mind.
Maybe in the near future something of the size of an iPod could be invented.
Small and multifunctional for the price of 400 bucks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Alzonder said:
What if someone invented a device that would measure everything in one go, and would fit on the palm of your hand. No more test kits and stuff. Or may be there is such a thing already?
You mean "The Estimative Index"? Hehehe. :axe:

I have NEVER purchased a single testkit for the hobby in my life. Not because I am Doogie Howser but because I am just down right cheap. I rely on the free water report from the water company, the Fertilator, and a general sense of eye-ing what's going on in my tanks. The last attribute will take some practice and lots of mistakes no doubt. I rather spend the testkit money on equipments, more plants, and maybe a couple pairs of shoes. [smilie=t:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, test kits they seem to be impractical. I generally try to stay away from disposable things. Keeping an aquarium should have as little inviromental impact as possible, otherwise.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, I wouldn't take it that far. :D Testkits are very useful, especially for those new to the hobby who have yet to experience some of the tell-tale signs of poor/good plant growths/algae/etc. It also appeals to the more experimental among us. If I have the funds, then I would definitely buy them so I can get some quantitative data to support some of the events that I've seen in my aquarium. But they are very low on my to-buy list. From a practical every-day sense, I really can't justify the cost to get some numbers that wouldn't do me any good. I would much rather spend them on a proper CO2 setup, an Ipod, or that new little Prada number. ::drools::

Alzonder said:
I generally try to stay away from disposable things.
Me too, but it's more trying to save shoe money than anything else. [smilie=d:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts