Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I wait for my stem plants to reach the surface before I prune them back. About 5 nodes down is a good, you can cut less/more if you desire depending on the look you are going for. Just trimming off the tops will make them bush out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
trenac said:
I wait for my stem plants to reach the surface before I prune them back. About 5 nodes down is a good, you can cut less/more if you desire depending on the look you are going for. Just trimming off the tops will make them bush out.
Not to mention they just look bad (IMHO)

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine product roots from various places, should i be cutting them at the roots and planting the roots into my sand?

·
Registered
274 Posts
arellanon said:
Not to mention they just look bad (IMHO)
Each person has his or her own taste, but I must say anacharis is not a popular plant.

MattS, it doesn't matter where you cut a stem plant. You may cut at the roots or not. The best thign to do is to plan how you want u'r tank/aquascape to look like and cut accodingly to that design.

If you are not goign to cut at the roots, but do not like the sight of the roots, trim just the roots. Or hide them behind a midground plant.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
As far as the roots go, all stem plants will produce roots at their nodes, some more than others. It's normal and natural, as litesky said, if you don't like the way they look trim them. But if you have a lot of stems that will get old real quick. I just let mine go until I trim and replant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the look doesnt bother me, i just wanted to make sure i wasnt doingsomething wrong by letting them grow.

thanks a bunch!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts