Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Very nice. Somehow I was expecting to see a moss covered anchor in the tank.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Nice job, Davis! I love how you hardscaped in front of the ground cover! Makes the viewer want to look deeper into the tank! What fish do you have in there; are they Belgium Flag tetras? Any significance behind the title?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mellonman - lol, thanks!!! I hope its unique enough I wasn't trying to emulate another tank.

Don - Thanks man, I appreciate your compliments, the fish are Pristella maxillaris aka Pristella Tetras, I also have 3 False Julii Cory Cats and 7 ottos currently. I came up with the name while I was dreaming up this scape. It just kinda sounded right at the time, not sure if I still like it as much as I did but we'll see.

The name comes from the ability of plants and roots to anchor geological features in place and time. In addition to preserving and protecting the hill they alter the character of it and make it their own. This is what I'm hoping to accomplish with this scape is to let the plants change the character of the hill and make it something natural and unique.

CmLaracy - Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

Angie - No literal anchors here or fake ones for that matter ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Superb tank. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Beatifully executed scape Davis. I love the dark rocks in particular. What type are they?

Have you been subconsciously influenced by a recent competition winner?;)

Dave.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EdTheEdge - Thanks!! i'm glad I was finaly able to share with all the camera troubles I've had recently

zQ. - I know what your sayin about that rock or really both rocks that stick up, I dont like them as much in these pics as I do when the stems are taller behind them, I trimmed just a few days before these pics were taken so the effect of the stems in the rear are kinda lost here. But I do occasionally have thoughts of moving or removing one or even both of the two rocks that stick up.

Dave Spencer - Thanks, I'm really happy to hear you appreciate my new scape!! The rocks were purchased locally mainly for their color and texture, I beleive they are a form of Mica although I know there are other minerals in these rocks that I can thank for the color, mica is responsible for the texture. :D

Jessie - Thanks!! that means a lot comming from you, I'm happy you can see some of the other things I've been working on with this scape, beyond the basic building blocks of hardscape and plants but getting deeper into the emotion or feelings the tank evokes. This tank has been a great addititon to my living room, its more like a painting to me than a fish tank to me and I think more people notice this now that have been guests to my apartment which is a cool feeling. It adds drama to the room or something. lol.

Leonard - Thanks!!! I definately appreciate the feed back!! :D

houseofcards - Thanks House! I'm glad to hear your thoughts on my scape!! :D The stem plant in the mid rear is Rotala sp. Green, I definately see where your getting the possibility of HM though, its growing so dense and compact, plus I had recently trimmed it right before the pics so its looking extra dense and compact. These new lights and Aquasoil are AMAZING! :D

apistaeasy and Dave Spencer - about the similarities between my tank and the contest winner, no doubt it has some influence from that tank, I saw the pics of that tank for the first time just a few months prior to building this scape, I loved the sense of emotion that the wood brought to that tank, there were however some things that I felt could have been different but hey I'm not the proud winner of those contests either. there are other scapes out there though that I feel inspired me more than that particular tank. They too have a similar style of hardscape, I think this is one style of scape we haven't seen much of and your right there will probably be more to come. I do feel another scape comming though, maybe once I feel this one is done and I get the itch to try something new. I do have another bag of Aquasoil at my disposal ;) As this scape fills in I think you will really start to see the differences between my tank and the others out there of this style.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
75 gallons 48" x 18" x 20"
Substrate - ADA Aquasoil Amazonia and sand
Lighting - 2 x 150w HQI MH 10,000k 6hrs per day
Ferts: 1.3tsp KNO3 + 0.5tsp KH2PO4 + 0.25tsp K2SO4 3X per week; 0.3tsp CSM+B for traces and Iron 3X per week, alternating days
GH: 8-9
KH: 0-1
Flora: Rotala Rotundifolia sp. Green, Hemianthus Calithricoides, Blyxa Japonica, Echinodorus tenellus, Microsorum pteropus 'Needle Leaf', Taxiphyllum sp. Peacock
Fauna:pristella Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, False Julii Corys, Otocinclus

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quick photo update, i've re-arranged the hardscape some, I'm pretty happy with that part now, I'm of course changing my plants, mainly the rotala is comming out as well as the HC, i'm going to try to go back to my original plan of a glosso ground cover. Glosso is the one plant i've always stuggled with, i'm giving it another shot today. I have planted a few stems, we'll see where it goes from there. anyway here is a pic of where the tanks stands now.

and one of tonights eclipse, crappy pic figured i'd share though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts