Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Jedi
676 Posts
Hi,

I have a few questions for you. Are you feeding them worms or dry flake food? Do you use co2? You had ich, are you introducing new fish to the tank without quarantine? Do you know why you had ich? Are you changing water or performing routine maintenance? Do you know the KH and GH of the aquarium? Crushed shell does not sound like good substrate for angelfish because of bad parameters it will cause. Are the plants growing well?

I would try to focus on angelfish only providing them a tank by themselves...without shark or gourami. Check on the GH/KH parameters. Swapping out substrate (if it is crushed shells) will help.

· Jedi
676 Posts
Try soaking dry flakes in tank water. Feeding dry food can cause problems with fish. Be very sure they are eating all the food. Ich will come form bad parameter when food is leftover sitting around. Maybe its finicky wilds but I found using irresistible foods (frozen\live) means much less lying around...which makes life easier for everyone :)

Angelfish are South American cichlids; the yellow cichlid is probably African. South American cichlids typically desire softer water likewise African cichlids typically desire harder water. Changing the substate is good step in creating new environment for the South American cichlids you wish to keep.

Feeding worms to South American cichlids is controversial. Some will say they feed worms for years some say worms killed fish. I would only feed worms I cultured. Maybe some chopped earth worm from the woods. I would never feed a dry worm! That’s like double jeopardy. ;)

It sounds like your fish are happy but something kills them right away, like poor food or bad spike from foul food. Check on tap water for chlorine/ammonia, which could cause your problem too.

When the plants are doing well the fish will also do better. Do your best to make the plants grow. I have a 65g tank with wild angelfish. I add co2, little bit of fertilizer and everything is doing great. A great tank with very little maintenance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.