Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I'm just getting my feet wet with angelfish, so what's going on in my tank may just be a simple fix. Just a little background on the tank:

65 Gallon tank
81 F temp
7.0-7.4 ph (it fluctuates :confused:)
0 on both nitrite and ammonia
~20 on Nitrate
The current substrate is what looks to be crushed shell. I've had it since I started the aquarium 3 yrs ago. I plan to swap it out next month with Turface MVP and Black Sand mix.

Current inhabitants:
1 angelfish
6 tetras
3 platys
1 pleco
1 rainbow shark
1 gourami

OK now heres whats going on. I have currently "killed" 8 angelfish over the course of 2 months. I have no clue what's going on with them. The first 6 that died showed no signs of distress before death. All were eating well and swimming around fine. The back fin the evening before did appear to be mildly clamped. The next morning I would go to check on everyone and there were dead. The last 2 to pass were my mating pair. They had recently paired up before I had an ick outbreak 2 wks ago and layed eggs. The eggs were eaten. It was about time for a second set of eggs and my female looked a touch swollen in her lower abdomen. I figured it was just her getting a little bigger due to timing with eggs. The next morning she was dead. The day after that my male was dead. Again the only sign was mild clamping the night before. All signs of ick have been out of the tank for a week. The only fish that are dying are my angels and I would love to keep angels, but its getting very expensive replacing them. I would like to know if its something I'm doing/not doing or if it could be a disease of some sort. If you need any more info please let me know.
Thanks,
Ashley

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The diet is primarily flake food. Occasionally I will give just a pinch of dried blood worms. Currently I am not using CO2 in the tank. My plants are small and theres only a few of them. I figure we got ich from the group of tetras that were put in the tank. They were the hardest hit with it and the only unquarantined fish that got put in (talk about learning from mistakes). I am performing routine water changes and water testing, but I do not know what the kh and gh are in my water. I have not picked up a test kit for that yet. We are planning to swap out the substrate as soon as pay day gets here. I've had the current substrate for 3 years, but all I mainly had in the tank at the time were yellow cichlids. So far the few plants I have are looking well, but I know the different substrate will definately help out. Hope that helps answer your questions.
Thanks,
Ashley

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I did the substrate change out tonight...we'll see how that goes over the next few days. Honestly, I hate to get rid of my shark...I've had him for 3 years now. He never messes with anyone tho. All he seems to do is hide in his stump or clean in the tank. I'll update ya'll later on how everyone is doing since the change out....
oh and I have noticed a difference with who I bought the angels from. There is one dealer I will NEVER purchase from again. That may have been part of the problem.
Thanks!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The yellow cichlid found a new home before I started buying angels...and thanks for the thought on taking a sample up to the LFS. I hadnt even thought about doing that just to double check things. I've been doing 25% changes weekly, and last night when we swapped out the substrate it was a complete change. So far everyone is alive and well. Gonna double check the pH this morning, but so far no spike like I had with the shells. I think the shells were a big part of that problem. Also, I dont plan on raising angels...I just happened to have a pair that spawned. No eggs survived tho.
Thanks!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update....I've changed out the substrate and started planting the tank. We eventually were down to only 1 angelfish before the substrate change so after the change we purchased 3 more (from the same place the one remaining came from) It has been a week now and everyone seems healthy and happy!!! I also went to a different flake food (back to one I had never had issues with). Maybe it was the food...maybe it was the substrate...maybe it was the fish...I may never know. But everyone seems happy now :)

Thanks for your input on this guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.