This is my angels tank with two years old

Setup:

Tank: 120 (l) x 40 (p) x 50 (a) - 240 liters
Filtration: Fluval 104 + Fluval 204
Heating: 150Watt + 150 Watt
Light: 30 W Powerglo + 30W Aquarelle + 54 W Grolux

Gravel: Garden peat + black gravel
Hardscape: Chist rocks

Fauna:Pterophyllum scalare (zebra); Hemigrammus rhodostomus; Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi; Nematobrycon palmeri; Parotocinclus jumbo; crossocheilus_siamensis

Plants: Cryptocoryne wendtii "green", amazonic sword, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Anubia barteri var. nana, Anubia barteri "coffeefolia", Nesaea crassicaulis, Microsorum pteropus Staurogyne Sp.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Very nice looking tank. I particularly like the right side. The Angels look great, one of my favorite fish.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Beautiful tank, zeneo.

BTW, doesn't adding garden peat under the gravel reduce the pH considerably? What do you do to maintain the pH stable? Do you add any other ferts to the tank?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the nice comments ;)

BTW, doesn't adding garden peat under the gravel reduce the pH considerably? What do you do to maintain the pH stable?
My tap water is really hard. Ph 7.5, sometimes 8 depending on the rain, Kh 6 and GH 11 or more. So, I don't have any problems with low ph, by the contrary. I suppose this tank is stable in ph 7. I don't do any tests for a long time. This tank is supposed to be a low-tech and a "no worry" tank, therefore I do some 10/20% water changes every week (not all) and feed the fish every day. For my surprise the tank is much better then I expected. The angels are now 2.5 years old, didn't had any death except one that got stuck between a big rock and the glass.

Do you add any other ferts to the tank?
I fertilize now and then with tropica tmg, some garden ferts I have here with no other use, and some sticks for home plants. But has the rest of the maintenance, I don't have any regular dose or fertilization schedule. In the photo the tank looks much better than in a closer look, some plants show some deficiencies. But has I don't have any algae issues, the plants grow very slow, the fish are ok and always spawning and so it's ok for me.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Very nice progress on your tanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more change ;)

Took off some plants to make the tank more open on the left side. The rocks were replaced by some driftwood.

Now I have some more space for the fish... I suppose they are becoming too big for this tank.

I would like to put a new tetras school but have some issues on the right choice. Neons are impossible; they are eaten fast by the angels…thinking of some hasemania

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comment :D

The danio are nice fish, but I wanted to stay on the south american species. The only fish in the tank not south american is one algae eater.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts