Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please comment. looking for real, honest, constructive advice please.

Overall View

Right Side

Center

Left Side

Overhead Left Side

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Nice healthy looking plants you've got there. I'm partial to reds and stem plants myself. Perhaps a soft red like l. inclinata behind the stargrass instead of the rotundifolia to break up all the green a bit? You might also consider some stems with different leaf structures. A lot of the stems you have are similar in size as far as width is concerned. Maybe some ammania or bl stellata could liven up that left rear corner?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Maybe stagger the plants against the back right so that they blend a little more. Right now they're taking on a 'books on a bookshelf' look. It should look great when it grows out.

What size tank is this?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
gnatster,

I like the images. Can you please tell us what size the aquarium is? and what substrate you have in it?

Do you have two filter returns on left and right? The hardware is not very obtrusive, a plus.

Having some undulation in the fore- mid-ground might be of interest to the eye. I am thinking perhaps of some rocks covered with moss or Riccia fluitans. The flat part of the fore-ground might be of more interest with some sort of ground cover. Is that some I see growing in?

Some larger driftwood might bring something to the background view between the long stalks.

And, if it's not too much trouble, tell us more about the MH lighting you're using. MH fascinates me.

2 cents worth from a learner...

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you please tell us what size the aquarium is? and what substrate you have in it?
120gal 48x24x24

80:20 Eco-Complete:Tahitian Moon Sand

Do you have two filter returns on left and right?
Yes, one return on each side. Tank is an AGA Reef Ready, but I did not use the standard AGA Overflow kit, constructed my own standpipe for drains and returns are Lineloc.

if it's not too much trouble, tell us more about the MH lighting you're using.
The fixture is AquaMedic's AquaSpaceLight 2x250W, doubled ended 5500K bulbs.

I have a journal, but I really need to write it up better and get it on-line. Someone in chat has been harping on me to do so, possibly this weekend if the weather is foul.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's my $.02....

Overall, I think it's pretty good. It still looks fairly new and needs some more time to fill in, but you're off to a nice start.

To me, the left side of the tank looks too empty. I might be tempted to move the Vallisneria (if that's what that is in the middle) over to the back, left corner and go for sort of a grotto effect in the middle.

Is that some sort of Amazon Sword in the middle-left of the tank? How big will that eventually get?

What is the green stem plant that's located in the back, right section of the tank? It almost looks like a Bacopa. Whatever it is, I'm not really wild about it. That might be a good place for a stem plant like E. Stellata or maybe Ludwigia Cuba, or some othe "bottle brush" type stem.

In the top view of the A. Reinicki, it looks pale and under-nourished. It also looks like it might be developing a slight algae problem.

Lastly, is the dark green stuff, on the front gravel, algae or some sort of plant? That area looks like it was made for some Glosso. IMO, you definitely need to get some kind of foreground plant going there.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm ripping on your tank because that's not my intent. Like I said earlier, I think it's pretty good, and I'd expect it to get even better once it fully grows in.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm ripping on your tank because that's not my intent.
Believe me, I don't feel as if any of ya'll are ripping the tank. I asked for criticism and so long as there are no "Hey dude, that tank sucks [email protected]@, take a hammer to it and buy a dog" kind of posts I have no issues.

Thanks to everyone so far for their replies and thoughts. I'm not looking to create a tank by committee, only looking for feedback on where I stand with ideas on where I may be weak or strong.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
gnatster - Having a sense of humor (as you do) is the first and perhaps the most important skill required for aquascaping!

Andrew

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey dude, that tank sucks a$$, take a hammer to it and buy a Poodle. Well, thinking about it, maybe a bichon frisse :) C'mon - how could I not use it after you put it out there?

We've talked on irc about it... I like it overall, colectoritis is definitely showing. Might be improved with a few less varieties of plants...

Andy

·
Registered
215 Posts
I like how your driftwood functions to pull ones eye out'a the corner after having climbed the mound. IMO this forward diagonal element can be enhanced as you develop your foreground with several contrasting species of differing heights. I like a gardener's tank, go for as many species as you have intrest in! Your dutch tapers are working well to transition your bare foreground into the dense background. Keep it up.
___
Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's my $.02....

Overall, I think it's pretty good. It still looks fairly new and needs some more time to fill in, but you're off to a nice start.

To me, the left side of the tank looks too empty. I might be tempted to move the Vallisneria (if that's what that is in the middle) over to the back, left corner and go for sort of a grotto effect in the middle.

Is that some sort of Amazon Sword in the middle-left of the tank? How big will that eventually get?

What is the green stem plant that's located in the back, right section of the tank? It almost looks like a Bacopa. Whatever it is, I'm not really wild about it. That might be a good place for a stem plant like E. Stellata or maybe Ludwigia Cuba, or some othe "bottle brush" type stem.

In the top view of the A. Reinicki, it looks pale and under-nourished. It also looks like it might be developing a slight algae problem.

Lastly, is the dark green stuff, on the front gravel, algae or some sort of plant? That area looks like it was made for some Glosso. IMO, you definitely need to get some kind of foreground plant going there.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm ripping on your tank because that's not my intent. Like I said earlier, I think it's pretty good, and I'd expect it to get even better once it fully grows in.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Lookin good Gnatster:)

I like it over all, has kind of a Dutch beginnings feel to it. I generally don't care for the Dutch stuff to much but this seems like a hybrid to me. Personally I would loose the Echinodorus on the left 1/3 I really don't feel like it fits.

I really like the substrate you have chosen, I might have to try that sometime:) What is growing on it? Is that a very small plant , HC maybe, or...something else:p What is the low growing plant in the very center, Pelia?

The plants are all looking very healthy, good job. I love the wood on the right but maybe soem more on the left, to tie the two side together. Some on the right should be bigger and pointing toward the center also. I feel like what you have now will disappear with a little more growth. Maybe just a little more hardscaping in general.

What are your plans for this scape? What do you want it to look like all grown in?

Sorry to critique so hard. I do like it very much and feel like it will be very nice when it has filled in more. Now, go tell me how crappy mine looks:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts