Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yes!!! that the new RedSea product I've heard about. Great for "nano" setups. RedSea has alot of other product for planted tanks coming out in the near future.

·
Registered
569 Posts
For 130 bucks though you might as well just go with a regular gas set up and save your self the pain of getting a tiny cylinder filled all the time.... seems like at that price it kills the entire idea of throwing togeather a cheap little gas set up......

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
MrSanders said:
For 130 bucks though you might as well just go with a regular gas set up and save your self the pain of getting a tiny cylinder filled all the time.... seems like at that price it kills the entire idea of throwing togeather a cheap little gas set up......
I'm not sure the idea is for it to be cheaper. I think most people want the smaller tank because it looks silly to have a 5 lb. CO2 tank next to a nano tank. :)

Also, the kit does include a diffuser and CO2 indicator so all in all it's not a bad price for what you're getting. If only it had a solenoid too.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I see people selling used paint ball canisters all the time the only expensive part would be filling it up since it usually costs about the same as filling a 5#. Of course if used with a nano the smaller tank would last pretty long. I think this is a wonderful idea and cant wait until someone tries on out and gives us a review. It looks like a very promising product for compact tank needs.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm not sure the idea is for it to be cheaper. I think most people want the smaller tank because it looks silly to have a 5 lb. CO2 tank next to a nano tank.
This is true.... LoL guess im just one of those guys who is more of the, if I can get more for the money ~ thats the better choice.

Guess the whole Idea of having everything tiny is kind of neat...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just ordered this setup from customaquatic.com for $150 including the solenoid (you can also get it for $110 without the solenoid). I'll most likely get the 20oz (1.25#) cylinder and set it up this weekend. I'll try to post a review as soon as I can.

I also ordered the Red Sea Turbo yeast kit model for my work tank.

I'm excited about these products because they employ the powerhead diffusers. After reading Tom Barr's articles about the effectiveness of active diffusers of this type vs. slower diffusion methods such as the Hagen ladder, I was really curious to try these.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Where are you getting the 20oz tank? I think I've seen a few places online that sell the tank for $40 or less (One place had them on sale for $17).

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I think that if the regulator is a double gauge clumsy looking thing the idea of having a sleek looking small size CO2 bottle goes out the window.

The RedSea kit seems to include everything needed so I consider it good product.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
37 Posts
turbomkt:
A local paintball store here sells them for about $30 (filled), and about $2-3 for a refill. You can also get them from WalMart :wacko: or sporting goods stores.

niko:
I agree, the regulator and the tank aren't exactly svelte and sexy like the ADA stuff, but the Red Sea package offers a good combo of a smaller size, and the convenience of a complete package (aside from the bottle, no additional parts to mess with). It addressed my requirements better than other pressurized options.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
You can also buy an adapter that will fill them off a standard CO2 bottle.

I'd probably end up getting two tanks and a filling kit. Add to that a 5# CO2 bottle that can be kept in the garage and it's a fairly easy setup.

G

·
Paintball cylinder

I have read somewhere that the paintball cylinders are not a real good idea. They have a small amount of oil injected into the tank with the CO2 to lubricate the paintball gun. This oil is not likely to be a good thing in any kind of aquarium!
I got my CO2 regulator, needle valve, bubble counter and electric solenoid on E-bay for about $100 CAD landed in Red Deer. I bough my refurbished 20gal tank for $75 CAD. I get it filled at the local Coca Cola distributor. They have CO2 for their post and pre mix fountain pop. The welding shop price to refill was $55CAD and the Coke store was $29 CAD.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
They don't use oil in the paintball canisters. I think you can by refills w/oil but they are the small, disposable type and they are marked specifically as containing oil. Normal, refillable paintball cylinders do not have oil in them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Can i ask why this is popular?

You can get an entire setup with a nice regulator, all totally new, ordered in from taiwan for $150 total.

If you go the other cheaper methods mentioned here then maybe i can see why.. but buying that regulator in the first post...its already $130!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use paintball Co2 on my 10 gallon tank since last year and have yet to have a problem with it. I'm glad to see that Red Sea has put something on the market so folks don't have to piece something together to get a nano Co2 system. Too bad there is no solenoid though. When I added one to mine it really helped increase run times, but it also really jacked the price up on the complete system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have posted these photos before. I found it on another forum.

Its available from www.up-aqua.com

I can't find the price but I do recall reading from the forum where I found it, was arountd $150 which I think included the solenoid.

This would be perfect for a nano tank.

WZ4R9055R.jpg

WZ4R9071R.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts