Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of my rainbow fish have developed external bacterial infections (I think). Which antibiotics are safe for use in planted tanks? Labels posted on the internet don't include this information.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
You can feed the fish antibiotics if they're still eating instead of dosing the whole tank. I use the seachem meds. You can wet pellets with antibiotics (kanaplex) and use 'focus' to bind them together if available.

I did this for a week and then a 2ppm dose of levamisole in the tank to boost the fishes immunity.

·
Super Moderator
2,619 Posts
I've used Kanamycin and Erythromycin to get rid of BGA. No problems for the plants.

Theoretically, I don't think antibiotics would hurt plants. They might have a secondary effect in killing filter bacteria and soil bacteria. Thus, I would clean filter before treatment and change water after treatment. I'm sure that you know this.

Sorry about your fish. If you don't have a UV sterilizing filter, if ever there was a time to use it, I would consider doing it now. It would at least stop the contagion.

·
Super Moderator
2,619 Posts
I had a personal experience described in my article 'Mycobacteriosis in Aquarium Fish'. I have used three different brands, so don't get too mired in the details. I didn't. If the UV light bulb has been used less than 6 months, it should drastically reduce bacteria in the water. I think a UV sterilizer is particularly useful in a quarantine tank for new fish (so vulnerable!) or for stopping a contagion.

Article can be downloaded from my website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts