Aquatic Plant Forum banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Bad news....I lost 3 lemon tetras in my experiment with Indian almond leaves. One of them jumped out of the tank and died (maybe it did not like the new water parameter). Two of them were found dead inside the tank the following day. I have removed all of the leaves and changed the water now. I have decided not to use any of the leaf in this tank.

In a separate tank, I lost a female phantom tetra but I keep the leaves in this tank. It has been days without any issue.

In my unproven conclusion, the leaves collected in the city may be contaminated. I collected after the rain....maybe it's acid rain. Maybe someone spray insecticide around that area that I am not aware of - it's quite common for the authority to spray insecticide to get rid of dengue mosquitoes in the city. I don't know for sure what went wrong. Now I am a bit concern about using the leaves I have collected. :frusty:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
totziens I am sorry for what happened, but one of the most important precautions is indeed that of checking carefully that the place of origin of the material is not exposed to various pollutants. Moreover, the almond leaves, such as other materials that contain humus and tannic acids, can significantly modify the water parameters (ph and hardness) and this change could have had a significant impact. Did you wash carefully the leaves prior to their introduction, and did you check afterwards the different parameters values?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yes, I washed the leaves before using but I do not have a test kit to test the water parameter. The reason I don't have any test kit is because I normally use them once or twice and abandon it till it's expired and it costs a bomb in my country. Test kits are not hot selling items in Malaysia too. So it's also very likely for me to buy expired ones if no expiry date is specified.

I guess the best way for me to identify the condition of the leaves is to test them. Nobody is able to monitor whether the authority sprays any insecticide or identify whether there's acid rain. I guess it's safer for me to use the extract from the bottle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Remember that with any product or material to the aquarium you'll change the chemical parameters, natural or commercial products...

·
Registered
820 Posts
For that problematic tank, I have decided not to play around with black water anymore. In fact, I have a more serious issue - I have cracked the tank by 1cm.

·
Registered
820 Posts
A cracked tank is not a major issue yet. The major issue is my wife does not agree with me to get a replacement tank. I can't just dump my beloved lemon tetras into the drain. Now I have to get a tank that looks similar to my existing tank and smuggle it into the house ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Stefano, do you mind that I share some of the photos of your DIY background in my blog. I am thinking of writing something about the various wonderful DIY aquarium projects I have discovered online. Of course, I will quote your name and add a link to your site too. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dabolox - Stunning background! I myself have created many (mostly for terrariums and one gigantic 7 foot long 6 foot high river bed fern grotto) (that was obviously not emersed, but ran along one wall of my bedroom. (with several little water "falls" areas - where each gigantic "rock" met the other at joints... cement hypertufa, peat, rocks, sand, imbedded wood so on - yours reminds me of that in part.

That said I have had over 45 years arts/sculpture materials experience esp with resins/epoxies and would like to add this for all.

The soft foam polyurethane (and the key word is soft - the harder the "plastic" ie higher heat pressure such as what is produced industrially the less degradation over time)... always continues to degrade... the "varnish" you used probably a modern polyurethane (as opposed to actual old fashioned lac bug) will as well. I have this foam used again and again on many forums.

Not only have artists using them over time ended up dead, or sick (as I did but that was from same class of chemicals used post building fire, during renovations - multi organ failure) but they will and do always off gas forever.

(reason why soft plastic water bottles have been in the news lately in the US).

When I took down a 75 gallon bow front terrarium made out of the foam (while experimenting with different products after much research) it was disgusting under the cement mixture (again I said terrarium).

I always thought that a filter with carbon might do the trick in compensating for this leaching of chemicals - and never trust even the msds (material safety data sheets) they are allowed to not fully disclose all properties of a product... I look up each chemical (background in biochemistry et al was obtaining Masters in same but then fire so on) but again mostly this knowledge came from decades of work in sculptural materials and advanced courses in chemistry of arts materials.

Any way, just to note this... it is a lovely lovey design and being from Italy I know you are surrounded by beauty! (my x was from Apiano something or other - a beautiful little villa outside of Milano). Unfortunately my Italian still stinks.

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but I've had much experience with this class of chemical product and just a head's up on their use.

Again, since leaching is slow and over time (but my terrarium was high humidity and about one year - just shrank and black and ugly) ever look at old foam that has degraded over time - that means leaching toxins out!

So maybe some carbon or other product to compensate for this. Fish being shorter lived then people may not show toxicity problems in the short term.

I actually found a product to coat the cement (remember goldfish ponds were made of concrete long ago and my research started with that). It was a clear much stronger sealant of commercial quality but only from England and could not be shipped due to the nature of the product (after 9/11)

I cured it and since it had only ferns in pockets did not worry about it. (lime)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I thank you very much Sherryazure for writing all this information.
I know that some chemical materials release harmful substances over time, so before putting fish I did several tests and read a lot. In particular, I read the characteristics of product "Plastivel" and its ability to waterproof everything is mixed into it.
I confess that my goal will only use natural materials and plastivel, eliminating the use of polyurethane.
But I fear for the damage that the water will give the wall in time.
Where can I find some of your aquarium and backgrounds?

However you could improve your Italian, and I my English hehehe

Regards,
Stefano.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is excellent. The exposed branches fro the back panel makes it look like a snapshot of the shoreline submerged area.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts