Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I believe that what you have is a bud composed of a bract called the spathe which surrounds the spadix (the white inflorescence) The spathe hasn't opened up yet to reveal the spadix. Look at the third picture in the first post of this thread by Vladimir Surkov (surick), one of the most successful growers ever of Aroids. Look at all of his amazing pictures!

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/photography/69991-my-collection-anubias.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
My anubias sends a bud like that out about once every month or two, and does indeed open up underwater. This is about a week after it first opened.

p.s. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I have kept Anubis plants for as long as I have hade planted tanks and never had a spathe underwater. What causes them to flower submersed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's strange to me, considering I've had them less than a year. I have read that they will only send up spathes under low lighting (I have only .5 wpg) or when moved/stressed. However, I am not sure if this holds any truth or not, just things I read it online somewhere. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
for me it was co2 and more light/iron and the plant growing well that did it. when i added the co2 for the first time, virtually within a few weeks i already had spathes lining up =)

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Whenever mine sends them up, I just attribute it to a 'happy' plant. No parameter changes, other than the plant being well acclimated to the tank and growing well. I have never had one send a spathe up if it's been recently uprooted or pruned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts