Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
2,072 Posts
Use less light. The other plants still do well unless shaded.

A friend has a plant over 10 years old, not any algae at all on it in a non CO2 tank with lower light(1w/gal).
I never had any GS in any non CO2 tank, nor any lower lighting CO2 tanks either for that matter.

PO4 will help reduce Green spot along with good CO2.
Mature tanks get it as bad as new ones.
Not insisting on placing it in the high light spot will also solve the issue.
Use fern, moss etc instead.

Petite nana as a foreground, then pulling the lights back away from the front of the tank, will reduce algae on glass and also prevent so much algae on the leaves.

I tend use Anubias as understory plants that get shade from other plants or I use less light if they are dominate.
Low light CO2 enriched tank are really nice.

Just about everything gets some algae if it's slow growing/rocks etc, even Amano's tanks have green spot in some of his photo's on Anubias, and it'd be more noticable in person.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

· Banned
2,072 Posts
Your Bolbitus should really start turning into a weed once you start adding PO4 also.
Glad adding PO4 knock out the problem.

The more I think about spot algae, the more it seems to respond very well to high non limiting PO4 dosings. Few algae do.

I once thought we'd never get rid of it, but I never had it at home in my tanks(high PO4 in the tap).

Good old Coleochaete orbicularis

Good observational note Carlos.

Regards,
Tom Barr

· Banned
2,072 Posts
The ratio is merely a guide to prevent wasting any one particular nutrient.
It really is not an issue sinc eI can have 20ppm of NO2 and 0.4ppm of PO4 and still have great growth, other issues are light intensity levels, which if lower, can provide a large margin of wiggle room in a routine and a ratio. I can also have good growth at 10ppm of NO3 and 2ppm of PO4.
Etc...........

Main thing is to add enough NO3/PO4 and CO2.
I hated this algae perhaps the most of any. While being able to get rid of BBA a long time go, I would still have to clean this off some client's tanks but I never got it t home.

I added the PO4 and never had it again.
Still, I like when others find the same results, I never quite trust myself and my own observations, I like to discuss them to see if others when they control their parameters well, find similar results.

It should be noted that algae presence presents an opportunity to improve plant growth whenm seen.

Each algae provides a window into the tank's nutrient and environmental parameters and are bioindictors of the system.

In this manner I can look at a body of water or a tank and know what is lacking in the plant growth partly by the algae and partly by the plant's themselves. I cannot see the plants, but the owner can, but the algae is fairly telling........

Regards,
Tom Barr

· Banned
2,072 Posts
Acetic acid will work(Vinegar), H2O2 and permangate as well.
Doesn't solve the cause though.
If you get the algae to stop growing, then adult algae will die off.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.